Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to take some of the photos off of my phone but still have them saved in iPhoto. However, when I go to iTunes and check what is sync'd nothing is checked as if no photos are syncing. Is this happening through the Cloud?

I am running out of room on my iPhone 5 and I want to take some of the photos off of my phone but still have them saved in iPhoto. However, when I go to iTunes and click on the Photos tab to see what is checked next to "Sync photos from" no boxes are checked as if no photos are syncing. Is this syncing happening through the Cloud?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 1:43 PM

7 replies

Jul 10, 2014 1:53 PM in response to MMcmar

The sync Photos in iTunes is used to move photos from the computer to the phone -- i.e., it is one direction only. It is also used to remove any photos from the phone that were placed on the phone by a previous iTunes sync.

From your question it sounds like (possibly) you may have Photos in iPhoto on your Mac that were put into iPhoto on your Mac by using Photo Stream. You can see if that option is on by going (on the phone) to Settings > iCloud > Photos and see if Photo Stream is On.

On your Mac you can open iPhoto, go to the menu named iPhoto and then Preferences > iCloud and see if Automatic Import is on. If the photos have been imported into iPhoto on the Mac (either manually or via automatic import) they will be in regular iPhoto Events and will not be in the Shared - iCloud section of iPhoto. If they are in regular events inside iPhoto on the Mac they can be deleted from the phone without losing them on the Mac.

Jul 10, 2014 2:16 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth, you are right. I was thinking of how it used to work. So give me the best way to reduce the photo amount on my phone. LIke I said I want to keep all of the photos that are in iphoto now, just want to take some of them off to free up room on my phone.

What is the best way to do this? Turn off Photo Stream from Settings > iCloud > Photos first? Also, I have about 800 photos in the "photo stream" tab in iphoto. Do I move those over to the Library so they are not lost? Do I then go back to iTunes preferences and turn off "Enable photo stream"?

Thanks for your help.

Jul 10, 2014 2:21 PM in response to MMcmar

There really is no way to do that because iTunes does not provide any such option. It's all of your iPhoto Library or none. What you could do is to create a separate folder in your Pictures folder. Copy all the photos you don't want synced to that folder, then delete them from iPhoto. When you next sync those photos will be removed from your phone.

Jul 10, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy -- I am probably misunderstanding your reply. I can and do sync just some photos from iPhoto on my Mac to my iPhone using iTunes. iTunes gives the ability to select just selected Albums, Events and/or Faces from iPhoto to the phone. Following link gives a screenshot of that selection. Again, I have the feeling that i'm misunderstanding what it was that you were saying. iTunes: Syncing photos

Jul 10, 2014 3:02 PM in response to MMcmar

MMcmar wrote:

FoxFifth, you are right. I was thinking of how it used to work. So give me the best way to reduce the photo amount on my phone. LIke I said I want to keep all of the photos that are in iphoto now, just want to take some of them off to free up room on my phone.

What is the best way to do this? Turn off Photo Stream from Settings > iCloud > Photos first? Also, I have about 800 photos in the "photo stream" tab in iphoto. Do I move those over to the Library so they are not lost? Do I then go back to iTunes preferences and turn off "Enable photo stream"?

Thanks for your help.

I am confused by your questions -- and I want to be 100% sure that I understand correctly as I don't want to say anything that would inadvertently result in your losing any photos.

I do not have a "photo stream" tab in iPhoto. I do have a Shared - iCloud section.

I am not aware of an "Enable Photo Stream" option in iTunes.

I think what you are asking about is the following situation:

There are photos that were originally taken on the phone, are now in iPhoto on your Mac and are in the Shared - iCloud section and you would now like to delete those photos from the phone.

If that is what you want to do, you first want to open iPhoto on the Mac and move the photos from the Shared- iCloud section to a regular Event or Events in iPhoto. Once you have done that, nothing you do on the phone or to Photo Stream has any possibility of deleting them from iPhoto on the Mac.

You don't need to change any Photo Stream settings on either the phone or the computer if you just want to delete photos that have already been transferred from the phone to the computer and have been moved into a regular event.

What I do is allow Photo Stream to transfer photos from my phone to Mac. It is always on. The preference in iPhoto is set to automatic import. I periodically verify that the photos have actually been copied to the Mac AND that they have been automatically imported from the iCloud section into Events. I then go to the phone and delete them from the Camera Roll and from My Photo Stream on the phone. My Camera Roll always consists of only recent photos where the above process has not been completed. If I want to keep photos on my phone I add them to Albums in iPhoto that I sync back to the phone.

I want to take some of the photos off of my phone but still have them saved in iPhoto. However, when I go to iTunes and check what is sync'd nothing is checked as if no photos are syncing. Is this happening through the Cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.