Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong password while updating to IOS 7.1.2

Hello everyone,

So on the day it has happened it was all ok in the morning, I put in my password and the iPad did unblock. I did some stuff on the internet and then I saw a suggestion to update to a new IOS 7.1.2. I clicked on the update button and then it asked me for my password. I assumed that it should be my normal apple ID password, however the keyboard did not have letters, I mean I could only insert numbers. So then I thought that maybe it requires my normal 4 digit password which I use to unlock the iPad. So I typed it in and then my iPad said: "Wrong password" I tried again and again it would not work. So now my iPad is blocked and I cannot unblock it with my password.

Then I have decided to try to update my iPhone as well to see if i get the same problem and it did. Though I could unblock my iPhone with a 4 digit password I stopped using ages ago. Which seems to be very weird as I have changes my password so many times since that one so I have not idea why it has worked.

So my question is, how could this happen, what should I do now considering the fact that I am on holidays and the computer I synced my iPad with is like miles away. Could it be a some kind of virus? Before you ask me if I am sure whether the password is correct or not I wanna say that yes I am 100 percent sure that the password I am trying to use is the one. Maybe someone has that problem as well? Thank you all in advance.

I have posted this question to an iPad forum and got no answer, therefore since this problem has occurred on my iPhone as well i find it appropriate to start a discussion here.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 1:47 PM

It is not asking for a password but your lock screen's passcode.

Locked Out, Forgot Lock or Restrictions Passcode, or Need to Restore Your Device: Several Alternative Solutions

A

1. iOS- Forgotten passcode or device disabled after entering wrong passcode

2. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

3. Restoring iPod touch after forgotten passcode

4. What to Do If You've Forgotten Your iPhone's Passcode

5. iOS- Understanding passcodes

6. iTunes 10 for Mac- Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

7. iOS - Unable to update or restore

Forgotten Restrictions Passcode Help

iPad,iPod,iPod Touch Recovery Mode

You will need to restore your device as New to remove a Restrictions passcode. Go through the normal process to restore your device, but when you see the options to restore as New or from a backup, be sure to choose New.

You can restore from a backup if you have one from BEFORE you set the restrictions passcode.

Also, see iTunes- Restoring iOS software.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 1:47 PM in response to Stasy55

It is not asking for a password but your lock screen's passcode.

Locked Out, Forgot Lock or Restrictions Passcode, or Need to Restore Your Device: Several Alternative Solutions

A

1. iOS- Forgotten passcode or device disabled after entering wrong passcode

2. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

3. Restoring iPod touch after forgotten passcode

4. What to Do If You've Forgotten Your iPhone's Passcode

5. iOS- Understanding passcodes

6. iTunes 10 for Mac- Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

7. iOS - Unable to update or restore

Forgotten Restrictions Passcode Help

iPad,iPod,iPod Touch Recovery Mode

You will need to restore your device as New to remove a Restrictions passcode. Go through the normal process to restore your device, but when you see the options to restore as New or from a backup, be sure to choose New.

You can restore from a backup if you have one from BEFORE you set the restrictions passcode.

Also, see iTunes- Restoring iOS software.

Wrong password while updating to IOS 7.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.