Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my 5-year- old iMac memory is going bad. It has slowed up and I cleaned it, ran Disk Utility and Disk Doctor and still it is slow. I have 8gigs and the most I have free is 4 with nothing running.

My iMac has slowed down even after I ran Disk Doctor, Disk Utility and removed many files. I think my memory is going bad on my 5 year old iMac with 8 gigs of memory. Any suggestions? Thanks

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 2:34 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Galloway J

If this started happening without your having made any changes and without a warning of low disk space, then it's likely that the startup drive, or some other hardware component, is failing. Back up all data immediately, then run Apple Diagnostics or the Apple Hardware Test.

Even if the test is negative, you should make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested more thoroughly.

I think my 5-year- old iMac memory is going bad. It has slowed up and I cleaned it, ran Disk Utility and Disk Doctor and still it is slow. I have 8gigs and the most I have free is 4 with nothing running.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.