Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Choose to ONLY Sync MP3 Format?

I have the 160 Classic iPod 4th G. My music library is too large to fit. Instead of going thorough and creating an enormous playlist to fit on the iPod, is there a way I can choose to only sync MP3 and AAC files...in other words, I want to leave off any AIFF or WAV files. Thanks for your help!

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 7:48 AM

You can create a Smart Playlist that excludes the wav and aiff files.

Yes, it will be an enormous Playlist, but you're simply using it to put things onto your iPod, that's all. Once the songs are on the iPod (due to the"enormous Playlist") you do not have to use or access that Playlist. You simply navigate to the same menus as before.

Try creating the Smart Playlist in your iTunes Library so that you can see what it does. If you like it, then you will need to change your Sync options from Sync Entire Music Library to Sync Selected Playlists etc... and choose that Smart Playlist.

To create the Smart Playlist, click on the big + button in the lower left corner of iTunes and select New Smart Playlist. Set it to look like the one below, by changing the drop-down menus and choosing the option shown (i.e. Kind and contains), and also typing in the text shown in the white text box (i.e. mpeg audio and aac audio):

User uploaded file

Important - the following changes also have to be made, or the Playlist will not work.:

• Click on the ... button marked 1. to create a new line in the Playlist rules. The new line will be the any/all of the following rules and also the drop-downs below it.
  • Click on the drop-down marked 2. and change that to any.
  • Click on the + button marked 3. to create the additional rule line. Make sure you click on the + button in the line that now reads "Kind contains mpeg audio".

Edited to correct instruction error.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 7:48 AM in response to inspiremusic

You can create a Smart Playlist that excludes the wav and aiff files.

Yes, it will be an enormous Playlist, but you're simply using it to put things onto your iPod, that's all. Once the songs are on the iPod (due to the"enormous Playlist") you do not have to use or access that Playlist. You simply navigate to the same menus as before.

Try creating the Smart Playlist in your iTunes Library so that you can see what it does. If you like it, then you will need to change your Sync options from Sync Entire Music Library to Sync Selected Playlists etc... and choose that Smart Playlist.

To create the Smart Playlist, click on the big + button in the lower left corner of iTunes and select New Smart Playlist. Set it to look like the one below, by changing the drop-down menus and choosing the option shown (i.e. Kind and contains), and also typing in the text shown in the white text box (i.e. mpeg audio and aac audio):

User uploaded file

Important - the following changes also have to be made, or the Playlist will not work.:

• Click on the ... button marked 1. to create a new line in the Playlist rules. The new line will be the any/all of the following rules and also the drop-downs below it.
  • Click on the drop-down marked 2. and change that to any.
  • Click on the + button marked 3. to create the additional rule line. Make sure you click on the + button in the line that now reads "Kind contains mpeg audio".

Edited to correct instruction error.

Can I Choose to ONLY Sync MP3 Format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.