Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminating my iCloud email account

I have used a @me.com email account as my primary email account for years. Recently, the amount of spam I'm receiving has become intolerable. That, and I'm not a big fan of the collusion between the major cloud service providers in the US and our government. I'm a web developer and own several domains/sites (hosted on German servers where the internet privacy laws are more protective), so... I can create self-hosted email accounts to use, and I'm going to do that.

My questions are:

• Is there a way to terminate my @me.com account so that when someone sends to it, the messages bounce? I'm sure I won't be able to notify everyone and I don't want someone to send a message to this defunct address and think I received it.
  • Because this @me.com address is also my Apple ID, will terminating this email account interfere with using all of the other services iCloud provides (syncing between devices, my Apple TV logins, etc...)?
  • If I can terminate this email account without it interfering with my Apple ID, how do I do this? Removing the account from my Mail program on all my various devices will just disconnect me from said account. The account would still remain live, correct?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 3:22 PM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 5:08 AM in response to Karaya One

You cannot get rid of your me.com address without also getting rid of your Apple ID, and your Apple ID is tied to all your App Store and iTunes purchases and your iCloud data.

Also, note that Apple is not "in collusion" with the government. They are not giving your data to anyone without a legal warrant. They are one of the only companies out there to release a transparency report containing a "warrant canary," so that users can be warned if the government ever forces Apple to hand over data under a gag order:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/11/apples-first-transparency-report-gets-warr ant-canaries-right

Apple has shown every indication that they are protecting their users' privacy.

Finally, regarding the spam, that's simply a part of life these days. You'll never get away from it entirely. Manage it by using the spam filter in Mail... or if that one isn't adequate, try a third-party spam filter, like SpamSieve.

Terminating my iCloud email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.