Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

optical drive

iMac OSX version 10.9.4

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

1 TB hard drive

What do people think of me using my old iMac's optical drive as a way to add to my iTunes library? (I think doing away with the built in makes sense: I hardly used it.) The only thing is that now that I have this new iMac along with Apple TV and can play the iTunes library through my sound system, I'm looking at all the CD's I never bothered to load into iTunes on my old iMac. There's maybe about 275 CD's or so and some very good music. So, buy and optical drive or use the one I have. By the way, loved transferring the iTunes from the old iMac to the new one within an external hard drive with the help of Apple support!

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:36 PM

I would just buy a cheap USB External DVD drive for the purpose.

Before you rip any CDs into iTunes, I would suggest that you check the quality settings before you begin, in iTunes > Preferences > General - CD import settings.

The higher the bit rate you choose the better the quality of sound you will get, but also the larger the music file becomes.

User uploaded file

The minimum setting I personally use is 256kbps, but selecting Custom setting allows you to increase that too for better quality.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 6:36 PM in response to wscottfromcarolbeach

I would just buy a cheap USB External DVD drive for the purpose.

Before you rip any CDs into iTunes, I would suggest that you check the quality settings before you begin, in iTunes > Preferences > General - CD import settings.

The higher the bit rate you choose the better the quality of sound you will get, but also the larger the music file becomes.

User uploaded file

The minimum setting I personally use is 256kbps, but selecting Custom setting allows you to increase that too for better quality.

Jul 11, 2014 8:13 AM in response to actionmarker

Thanks, I'll do that. This morning, as soon as I read your suggestion, I knew it was exactly what I should do. I like the simplicity and the ease of gradually adding songs from the CD's I have by just using a cheap USB External DVD drive.

Last night I started using the old iMac to add some music and actually somehow deleted the music that was visible in its music library. I'm not bothered by this because all of that music is already on the new iMac. (Also, I think that missing music is still on the old iMac, backed up in a certain file - right?)

Anyway, then being motivated, I decided to try transferring documents from the old to the new. I went about it with the external hard drive and the technique that I used to move my iTunes Library about a week ago with the help of Apple Support over the phone (The guy who helped me was awesome.) Good thing I didn't wait too long because my recall could have been stronger, but I did pull through. The timing of your reply couldn't have been better.

THANKS AGAIN

optical drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.