Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

symantec endpoint protection will not open hidden. mavericks 10.9.4

Symantec endpoint protection will not open hidden. i have the hide on opening box checked in login options.

Please help.

thnaks

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:29 PM

8 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:13 AM in response to doctorjay

doctorjay wrote:

Symantec endpoint protection will not open hidden. i have the hide on opening box checked in login options.

Please help.

thnaks

If you are (ugh!) referring to Symantec's Anti-Virus software for the Mac, this when installed runs behind the scenes and does not require the application to be open all the time. Therefore the solution might be to not run it at login at all. That will certainly 'hide' it.

[Why don't Apple have an emoticon for retching? I don't know which is worse Symantec or McAfee.]

Typically you just get a small symbol in the menu bar near the clock to show it is installed and active. This certainly was the case when I was unfortunately required to use it at one organisation, it is also true for most if not all other makes, e.g Sophos.

Jul 11, 2014 7:18 AM in response to doctorjay

doctorjay wrote:

Not really an option. University likes us to use it.

You need to talk to your university IT department. Symantec products aren't much good at detecting Mac malware, and they are well-known for their ability to bring a perfectly healthy Mac to its knees. If they insist that you use some kind of anti-virus product, use either Sophos or ClamXav. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, but either would be worlds better in all aspects than any of the other options (except for not using anti-virus software at all).

symantec endpoint protection will not open hidden. mavericks 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.