Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Mini Displayport to DVI from Thunderbolt port

Hi, I'm using a ~2012 Macbook Pro that I have connected to an Asus monitor for a dual monitor setup. I am running a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter out of the Thunderbolt port (supposed to work according to FAQ on Thunderbolt port) into my monitor. Recently, the monitor has stopped working in that it now displays what it should, only covered by hundreds of green flashing pixels. I do not mean it has a handful of dead pixels. The entire screen is covered in said pixels and is almost unusable. I have tried a DVI cable with 18 pins, as well as one with 24 pins, both give me the same result. I've also run the same setup through another computer that is the same model as mine, to the same result. My conclusion was that the monitor itself was broken. However, testing the same DVI cable and monitor on a friend's PC, he had no issues and the monitor worked just fine. I concluded that it must be the adapter. I bought a new adapter and connected it to find the same wall of green flashing pixels on both MacBooks I tried it on. I have switched the power cable from a power strip to two different wall sockets, no good there.

The power is not an issue, the DVI cables are not the issue, the monitor is not the issue, and the adapter is not an issue. I do not think the port itself is an issue either as I tried the setup on a third MacBook (this one a much older model) without a Thunderbolt output and it still gave me the same results. I'm lost here. Anyone know what I can change to get my monitor set back up again?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 4:04 PM

There are no replies.

Problem with Mini Displayport to DVI from Thunderbolt port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.