Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High pitched noise in late 2013 macbook pro at idle

Hello,

I have a entry level Macbook Pro late 2013 model.

When I have it on my chest laying down and I am reading a page and I am not using the track pad

there is a low but annoying high pitched noise radiating from the right side.

At 1st I thought it was my hearing but I am sure its the computer.

The noise is not constant, it does 1 beep for about 1-2 sec

then a 2nd for a sustained amount of time.

It happens right when I take my hand off the track pad.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 4:37 PM

13 replies

Jul 10, 2014 4:43 PM in response to Michael Renwick

PArt of that sound is probablydue to the cooling fan...having the MacBook Pro on our chest is providing a heat source, your body, to the case which acts as the heat sink for the computer. Do you get the same sound if the MBP is sitting on a desktop or table? By adding our body heat to it the fan has to run to remove the heat of the computer plus that which you are adding.

Jul 11, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Michael Renwick

Have you got young ears?

Younger people can hear higher frequencies than older people, it's possible that others can't hear it as much as you. I'm not sure what to suggest. It may be worth a trip to the store if only to see if you can hear other Macbook Pro's do the same thing. I imagine you won't hear anything in that environment 🙂

I also wonder if you can hear it when someone else uses it - can you close your eyes & detect their touches? I suspect it may be due to the distance from the trackpad or metal case.

If you get a sympathetic genus at the store they maybe willing to look into it if you can demo it is real to your ears. You could also boot into recovery mode to see if it is something that the Mac always does or if it could be caused by a piece of installed software.

The trouble with these perceptual issues is people ignore them until someone points it out at that point it becomes the only thing you can hear!

Aug 7, 2014 5:04 PM in response to AdD959

AdD959,

Take it in to an Apple Genius bar with your charger, and demonstrate it to them.

Ask to take in back or somewhere where it it is quiet to allow them to hear the noise. It could possibly be a bad battery....connection, filter, ferrite bead.....

I've had audio/electronic gear make strange HF noise, and it is commonly a component on a circuit card.

Just a thought to try, as the apt is free.

The evaluation is free, make an appointment first so as to not waste time waiting.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

High pitched noise in late 2013 macbook pro at idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.