Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad acting up and weird 'burn'

Hey all. I have a Macbook Air (13-inch, Mid-2012) with quite an annoying problem. In short, my trackpad is really acting up. I have tap-to-click disabled. Yet like 20% of the times a light tap will still register as a full click. Other times it double clicks without me wanting to. And it's happening way to often to bear.

First I thought the issue was with Windows and Bootcamp, as I often need Windows for work. However, the issues also happen in OSX. I tried resetting the PRAM, but that didn't do any good. I tried the palm-press. I tried the hard pressing of all the four corners. Alas, nothing improved.

Now I also noticed I have this weird burn-in on my trackpad. However you only see it at a slight angle. Here as some pics to eloborate:

User uploaded file

And when viewed from above, you see nothing from it at all.

User uploaded file

What else can I do now? I don't have AppleCare or anything fancy. Yet this is starting to get to problematic to use. Yet my device is barely that old.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:50 PM

The symptoms you describe may be due to a battery that has become swollen, a failure mode that will result in it exerting pressure on the trackpad from below. If that is the case, the battery must be replaced ASAP:

Genius Bar Reservations

Replacement, if necessary, is $129 + tax, installed.

Other causes can be the result of using a third party power adapter:

Portables and Magic Trackpad: Jumpy or erratic trackpad operation

Also, read: Intel-based Mac notebooks: Troubleshooting unresponsive trackpad issues

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 6:50 PM in response to ECJanga

The symptoms you describe may be due to a battery that has become swollen, a failure mode that will result in it exerting pressure on the trackpad from below. If that is the case, the battery must be replaced ASAP:

Genius Bar Reservations

Replacement, if necessary, is $129 + tax, installed.

Other causes can be the result of using a third party power adapter:

Portables and Magic Trackpad: Jumpy or erratic trackpad operation

Also, read: Intel-based Mac notebooks: Troubleshooting unresponsive trackpad issues

Trackpad acting up and weird 'burn'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.