Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legally uptained through government auction , but locked, ipad mini (I have legal proof of ownership. Was a confiscated item, never reported stolen through icloud)

Through govdeals.com, I obtained an ipad mini that is locked by icloud. The ipad was seized and confiscated by Ohio law officials (for whatever reason, probably drug raid, they were selling a lot of grow lights for cheap too lol), held for a period of time, and was auctioned off. I have a reciept from the state of Ohio showing that I am indeed the owner of this property. Apple phone support bounces me around and eventually only tells me they're not comfortable helping with a factory reset in case it was stolen.

Wether it was stolen or not at any point (which it has never been indicated of being stolen) I have a reciept directly FROM THE STATE OF OHIO, specifically stating that this ipad mini is indeed mine (my name's on the reciept and everything). Am I really SOL even though I have papers proving ownership??? I mean, I can get the reciept notarized.... or will apple refuse to acknowledge my ownership?

any insight or explanation appreciated,

Mike-

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 4:53 PM

11 replies

Jul 10, 2014 5:30 PM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel, and noted. However, while the ipad is mine, I don't think apple is legally obligated to help me (being sold as-is through a government auction) 😐 so a court order sounds a little extreme when consulting on their software. If apple says getting a court order is the process to go through, I'll start working on it. But I'm not going to run around town figuring out how to even do that unless I know it can happen.

If someone from apple could give me a process or policy for this situation, or tell me what I can do for them (even pay to have it sent in and reset, i don't care) I would be happy. From what I'm gathering, no one I have been able to talk to is authorized to help or even comment. I've had a great relationship with apple for past products I've purchased.... but this *****.

Jul 10, 2014 6:17 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks guys, I will take it to an apple store soon with the paperwork that shows how I obtained it and that I did in fact purchase it legally. I will follow up on this forum after I do.

Frazzm737 - I understand and appreciate apple's security features, and being someone who uses craigslist, I avoid sketchy ad's to avoid buying stolen property. I wasn't asking for a hack (I know they're out there, like Doulci and such), I was seeking extra advisement when purchasing an ipad through the circumstances I described. Apple's phone support said they couldn't help me (before I came to the forum) and they couldn't give me a specific reason or policy that addressed my circumstances.

Loner T - I don't know the circumstances as to why it was confiscated, but for whatever reason they're auctioning it. seriously, check the website govdeals.com they sell all kinds of crazy stuff through any state/gov entity (law enforcement, schools, universities). I picked up a kiln last month for $80!! from a local school district in my area. The ipad is a mini 16gb with retina display, btw.

thanks for the direction, Tom!

Jul 10, 2014 7:26 PM in response to funningshoes

Ok, guys, after talking with a senior tech guy and doing some more research of my sale, I got some answers. I think this info is important for any honest buyer not going for stolen property deals!!

FACTS:

-I legally uptained an icloud locked (not stolen, but confiscated by authorities) Ipad mini retina 16gb through state of Ohio government auction.

-The ipad was set up and registered in x-persons name. Again, I have legally obtained ownership (with paperwork from the state, proof).

-Apple will not/cannot bypass their security features for someone unregistered or without origional receipt of purchase. Even in my situation of legally obtaining ownership. I respect this because ownership laws and agreements get sticky... however, this makes my situation very frustrating.

WHAT MAKES MY IPAD PAPER WEIGHT SO SPECIAL?? - The person of the registered ipad had purchased it with STOLEN CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, pulling cash from accounts and using credit to buy stuff. When the authorities confiscated the illegally obtained property, they auction it for whatever retribution they can get....

In short, *Apple* will not be able to help you if you buy a registered ipad. Even legally. Fortunately, there are alternatives to reset.

Jul 11, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Texas Mac Man wrote:

Talk to Apple Support. A Senior Advisor could unlock the device as long as you are able to provide the device serial number and proof of purchase.

TMM, this is not actually true unless the device is running a version of iOS older than iOS 7. If it's running iOS 7, Apple will not help. In fact, I believe that they have engineered the anti-theft features in iOS 7 so that they cannot help - they cannot actually unlock the device without the "keys," so to speak.

Legally uptained through government auction , but locked, ipad mini (I have legal proof of ownership. Was a confiscated item, never reported stolen through icloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.