Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sampled instruments in Logic

I recently migrated Logic Express to a new computer with Mavericks. However, none of the software instruments, such as the EXS, for example, are available in Logic on the new computer. Can someone tell me how I might get the sampled instruments to the new computer?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:07 PM

6 replies

Jul 12, 2014 4:37 AM in response to josf

First of all, migrating a major application like Logic is a gamble and is not the best approach. If I were you I would just reinstall Logic using the installation DVD. Before launching your fresh installation you should update it to LE 9.1.8 (assuming you've got LE 9.)

Having said that, you should find all of your instruments, samples, and patches in HD/Library/Application Support/Logic. Assuming you still have access to your old computer you can copy these files onto your new computer.

Jul 12, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Guitartist

Hi,

Thanks for your reply . . . I'm using Logic 8 BTW, although I plan on going to Logic Pro soon. Yes, I'm beginning to see that migrating Logic may have been the wrong way to go.

I still have the old computer, and so, the first place I looked for the instruments and samples, etc., was exactly where you said, HD/Library/Application Support/Logic. But the folder "Sampler Instruments" appears empty, i. e., shows as 0 Kilobytes. There's nothing in there to get! I googled around to see if there is something like an option click or some other combination of command clicks that would reveal the contents of the folder, but haven't found anything.

Do you know if it's something like that?

Josf

Jul 12, 2014 11:41 AM in response to josf

Forgive me for asking, but are you absolutely sure you're looking in the HD library and not your user library? If you go to User/Library/Application Support/Logic your Sampler Instruments folder will indeed be empty unless you added something to it beyond the original installation. My user instruments folder is empty also, but my HD instruments folder is full.

Check both your User library and your HD library on your old computer . . . the instruments have to be in one or the other if they are available and working in LE 8.

Jul 12, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Guitartist

No need to forgive you, you are right, I was looking in the wrong place . . . but now I'm even more baffled. I can see both the old HD and the new one on my new computer. Following the file path–HD/Library/App Support/Logic on both computers side by side, I see that all the folders for instruments, EXS, plug-ins etc., all have content.

On the new computer, Logic "says" EXS24 not available when opening a project. It seems to be only the drum sounds. They just don't play! Even though they are all in the folder where they should be as I've just confirmed . . . very strange.

Jul 21, 2014 8:32 AM in response to Guitartist

So after trying a few fixes, and having nothing else work, I finally un-installed Logic and then installed from the original disk. That fixed the issue I started in this post. However, I still have the problem of a black shadow that follows the cursor through the whole playback like many here have reported with Logic 8 on Mavericks.

Frankly, I find this an unacceptable annoyance. Logic 8 is supposed to run on Mavericks.

Thanks for the replies,

josf

Sampled instruments in Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.