Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System apps randomly won't open/crash

Since OS X Lion, some system apps (Preview, App Store, Terminal, Facetime, Quicktime) will randomly refuse to open. When I click on a file that by default opens up one of these programs, or when I click on these applications directly to open, they will open for a split second then immediately crash. Once this problem occurs, it never goes away until I reinstall OS X entirely. In the past year or so, I have had to reinstall Lion/Mavericks five times, which is incredibly frustrating.

Does anyone have a clue why this happens, and whether there are better solutions than completely reinstalling OS X?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

For this step, the title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Initially the words "String Matching" are shown in that box. Enter the name of the crashed application or process. For example, if iTunes crashed, you would enter "iTunes" (without the quotes.)

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the messages from the time of the last crash, if any. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

☞ The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

☞ Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION User Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of crash reports. The name of each report starts with the name of the process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent report related to the process in question. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 7:49 PM in response to Potent Potable

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

For this step, the title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Initially the words "String Matching" are shown in that box. Enter the name of the crashed application or process. For example, if iTunes crashed, you would enter "iTunes" (without the quotes.)

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the messages from the time of the last crash, if any. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

☞ The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

☞ Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION User Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of crash reports. The name of each report starts with the name of the process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent report related to the process in question. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

Jul 10, 2014 8:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

Here are the logs for the following problem apps (I found a few more):

Preview logs:

2014-07-10 10:53:44.925 PM Preview[13013]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 10:53:44.938 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.Preview.3552[13013]) Exited with code: 1

App Store logs:

2014-07-10 11:00:17.708 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.appstore.912[13113]) Exited with code: 1

Terminal logs:

2014-07-10 11:01:03.790 PM Terminal[13121]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:01:03.793 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.Terminal.7776[13121]) Exited with code: 1

Facetime logs:

2014-07-10 11:01:30.210 PM FaceTime[13143]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:01:30.285 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.FaceTime.25376[13143]) Exited with code: 1

QuickTime logs:

2014-07-10 11:01:59.332 PM QuickTime Player[13146]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:01:59.395 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.3728[13146]) Exited with code: 1

Calendar logs:

2014-07-10 11:06:38.044 PM Calendar[13163]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

Chess logs:

2014-07-10 11:07:31.843 PM Chess[13168]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:07:31.907 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.Chess.1968[13168]) Exited with code: 1

Dictionary logs:

2014-07-10 11:07:49.690 PM Dictionary[13170]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:07:49.757 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.Dictionary.24672[13170]) Exited with code: 1

Image Capture logs:

2014-07-10 11:08:15.101 PM Image Capture[13176]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

iBooks logs*:

2014-07-10 11:09:03.705 PM xpcd[164]: restored permissions (100600 -> 100700) on /Users/[OMITTED]/Library/Containers/com.apple.iBooksX/Container.plist

2014-07-10 11:09:03.799 PM iBooks[13192]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:09:03.835 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.iBooksX.26784[13192]) Exited with code: 1

Maps logs:

2014-07-10 11:10:28.916 PM xpcd[164]: restored permissions (100600 -> 100700) on /Users/[OMITTED]/Library/Containers/com.apple.Maps/Container.plist

2014-07-10 11:10:31.058 PM Maps[13197]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:10:31.143 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.Maps.27840[13197]) Exited with code: 1

Messages logs:

2014-07-10 11:11:24.696 PM Messages[13204]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

Reminders logs:

2014-07-10 11:12:07.871 PM Reminders[13227]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

2014-07-10 11:12:07.879 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.apple.reminders.41568[13227]) Exited with code: 1

It appears that the common culprit in all these failures is a missing "nib file" — I have no idea what that means so I'd appreciate tips on how to restore this file.

* I had done a Disk Utility verify/repair permissions and verify/repair disk, and there were a lot of repairs needed to be done on iBooks for some reason. I've never used this app.

Diagnostics report — NO reports are available; in fact, I don't have a single one apart from an "adb" one, which relates to an Android thing I was doing (completely separate from this issue). I'm not sure why there are no diagnostics reports, but judging from the logs, I have a feeling the apps didn't actually crash as they couldn't even open.

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2014 8:20 PM in response to Potent Potable

I've figured it out. Did some Googling on these missing "nib" files and also scoured my memory for recent actions on my Mac — the only things I can remember doing are 1) updating OS X as prompted and 2) running CleanMyMac. I did a search for both actions relating to "Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting" and found that CleanMyMac is the culprit.

I guess I'll need to add these system apps to the "ignore" list of CleanMyMac or simply uninstall this app.

Jul 10, 2014 8:23 PM in response to Potent Potable

The first thing you need to do is remove that software according to the developer's instructions. Never install it, or anything like it, again. Then see below.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance. You can skip this step if you don't care about the data that hasn't been backed up.

Reinstall the OS.* Your data should be unaffected unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main Recovery screen.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

System apps randomly won't open/crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.