Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my itunes cause my macbook pro to run slow

MacBook Pro 17 inch mid 2010, OSX 10.9.4, 2.53GHz Intel Core1.5, 4 GB

Can my Itunes library (it's large) cause my MacBook to run slow? Constantly getting the beachball. Have taken it to the Apple store and have dumped the system totally off the computer and reinstalled only the OS and Itunes again. Beyond slow. Takes at least 10 minutes to boot up if I turn it off.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:40 PM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2014 5:57 PM in response to JaiJethani

Yes - it still runs slow. I used to have a few programs loaded but removed everything after I took it to the Apple store. I moved all my files over to an external hard drive but to be honest - I'm not sure my Itunes is gone from my laptop. I'm not savvy enough on my Mac. Have to use a PC for work so I'm a little better at navigating in that system.

I just looked at the Activity Monitor and nothing is really using anything - it says the system is about 98% idle.

Jul 10, 2014 7:29 PM in response to Brookquilt

If this started happening without your having made any changes and without a warning of low disk space, then it's likely that the startup drive, or some other hardware component, is failing. Back up all data immediately, then run Apple Diagnostics or the Apple Hardware Test.

Even if the test is negative, you should make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested more thoroughly.

Can my itunes cause my macbook pro to run slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.