Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto stalls out importing videos only - doesn't make it to "finish import"

Problem for the last 6 months - pretty sure when I upgraded to Mavericks. Tried everything as I am a bit of a problem solver with this kind of thing but I can no longer try.

My system:

MacPro Early 2009

2x2.66 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

16GB RAM

MacOS 10.9.4

iPhoto 9.5.1

all current.

It started about 6-8 months ago when I tried importing a batch of photos and it did the spinning wheel of death somewhere in the middle. other days, it wouldn't do it at all. I finally figured out that it was stalling out on video imports only. These are videos taken only from my iPhone 5 running current software (always current). So upon isolating the issue - commanding the iPhoto to import a sample 11 second video - iPhoto imports the video - then immediately stalls before it makes it to "finishing import" - it looks like this with a spinning wheel of death for eternity until I force quit.

User uploaded file

Upon re-opening of the program, I get the following prompt.

User uploaded file

If I say yes, then it goes through that whole process again and I have to force quit. If I say no - I get the following prompt.

User uploaded file

If I open that folder - there is the movie file in its entirety and it plays fully and completely if I open it in QT player. No problems at all.

So then I decided to try importing a video from SOMEONE ELSE'S iPhone 5 to see if it was my PHONE that was the problem. But the same thing happened. Then I tried using someone else's computer using the exact same software but it is a MacBook Pro. And this worked no problem - so my phone is able to have photos imported into iPhoto, but it's not on my computer.

I rebuilt the iPhoto library using the command+option on opening. I repaired permissions on the MacHD. I tossed the preference files in the /Library/Preferences for iPhoto. I restarted, rebuilt and retried.
Nothing works. I created a new iPhoto library on an external drive in the hopes that maybe my iPhoto Library had become corrupted. Still didn't want to import.

Image Capture brings all things in but keeps them isolated from iPhoto so not the best scenario since I want to keep all of them in folders on iPhoto.

Nothing seems to work.

Can anyone think of anything that I have NOT tried, and/or anything I can do to get my videos from my iPhone into iPhoto? I know its not the ideal software program anymore, but I would like to be able to at the very least have them as part of the library so that I can get them off my phone in case something were to happen with my phone!

Thanks in advance...

Tim

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:53 PM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2014 8:26 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have brought things in with Image Capture but then the Import into iPhoto does the exact same thing. It doesn't seem to matter if the file exists on a camera card or already on the hard drive - it is specific to the iPhoto import protocol it appears. I noticed that this happened exactly in the 6 day window when Mavericks was first released. i had a properly imported video file 3 days before Mavericks was officially released and then the next video (that never made it in) was 6 days later. It all seems fishy.

I have tried importing with another user - no luck.

What should I be re-installing?

Thank you!

Jul 13, 2014 12:45 PM in response to Yer_Man

The videos are tiny - 10 seconds. I tried importing into a new library - same problem even with a blank slate.

I removed Flip4Mac which WAS still on my system and there were no Perian components.

Still same problem. Videos do not want to "finish import" - photos have no problem. All taken from Apple sources which is the most baffling thing to me.

Jul 13, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Old Toad

I removed Flip4Mac which WAS still on my system. There were no Perian components.

Same problem. I have created new libraries to try to get around this problem but nothing seems to work. Photos import fine. Videos taken on iPhone (small files - 11MB) do not - it stalls just before the "finishing import" would be listed.

Any other ideas? This is vexing.

Jul 13, 2014 1:52 PM in response to tagme1974

Try reinstall then.

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

For older versions that have been installed from Disk you'll need these additional steps:

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

iPhoto stalls out importing videos only - doesn't make it to "finish import"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.