Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using airport time capsule to create an internet connected network from pre existing wifi network

i bought an airport time capsule for college. I bought it to create a network for my dorm room so that I could take the pre existing wifi from the school and make my own mini network that I can hook my other stuff up to. Problem is that I don't have an ethernet hook up in my room so the network would have to be created from a wifi network rather that a ethernet hook up. Is this still possible? Alternate suggestions? I am afraid of either the college network blocking users from communication with other devices via the wifi, or the fact that my printer would be on a huge network for all to screw with.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 7:06 PM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Burke967

Is this still possible?

NO, it won't work. Apple only works with apple.

Alternate suggestions?

I am sure your college has rules about not running your own wifi networks.. but anyway.. that is up to you.. the Apple TC cannot turn off 2.4ghz which would be handy.. so the only way to do this following the rules is ethernet. You can run a full network standalone on ethernet. And still use wireless for internet.

If you want to use wireless standalone this is also possible but you need to connect a second wifi USB dongle your Mac so you can have two networks at once.. You can use an express to connect to the college wireless and bridge that to the TC by ethernet.. then use the TC to create your own network.. since you cannot turn off 2.4ghz I guess how long the College IT people take to track you down should be hours. If you could just use 5ghz it would probably be ok.

Using airport time capsule to create an internet connected network from pre existing wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.