Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iMovie events/projects to external hard drive

Hello!

How do I movie project and events in iMovie 10.0.4 to an external hard drive without losing all of the previous internal links. I have a MacBook Pro running OSX ver 10.9.4. I've looked online and have seen numerous sites that say to "Choose View -> Group Events by Disk" which will show projects organized by the drive they are located on. However, when I choose "View", I do not have the option of grouping events by disc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:10 PM

5 replies

Jul 17, 2014 10:05 AM in response to judysings

Hi Judy!

Thank you for your reply. I followed the link you provided and read through the instructions there. However, I still have several "questions?/issues".

Step one of the instructions states:

1. 1. Connect an external hard disk to your computer.
  2. An icon for the hard disk appears in the Event Library.
  3. Note: To use an external hard disk with iMovie, it must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). iMovie doesn’t support network-attached storage or external flash memory drives.

I have followed this (and verified) that my external drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). However, when I connect my external drive, it does not show up in the "Event Library". Actually, I do not SEE an "Event Library" anywhere in my iMovie sidebar. Below is a screenshot of my iMovie (10.0.4) with my external hard drive connected.

User uploaded file

I have looked through all of the various tabs above iMovie (File, Edit, Mark, Modify, View, Window, Help) and do not see anything that even allows me to "View Event Library".

I must be missing something obvious. Sorry to be a pain. Not sure why I don't even see the option for "View Event Library" or "View Project Library". I just wanted to make sure I have everything moved/copied onto the external drive before I delete them from my MacBook Pro. (I am a HS Theatre Teacher/Director and I have numerous full length productions saved. About 15 of them, at over two hours each. It is chewing up almost all of my available memory).

Thank you so much! Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Jul 20, 2014 9:36 AM in response to teacherdjd

Hi teacherdjd,

My apologies for sending you the incorrect link for the version of iMovie that you have. Thanks to thesurreyfriends for catching this. Do the updated instructions make more sense?

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or storage devices

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov3fa25bae7

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or storage devices

1. Connect a storage device that contains the target library to your Mac, or copy the target library to your Mac.
  2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.You can choose from recently opened libraries, locate an existing library on your Mac, or create a new library.The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.
  3. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.
  4. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.Tip: To select multiple clips or projects in the same library, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.
    • To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

- Judy

Moving iMovie events/projects to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.