Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it time for a new computer yet? (or can it be saved..)

It's still running! My mid-2007 version, 2.8ghz 24" iMac!

Alas, it is getting quite (okay, VERY) slow during some of the easiest task applications (and Finder,) that I fear its end may be nigh. Here's what I've done so far:

* Thought it could have been the attached external drive dragging it down. It uses its own external power supply, and is from that same year (2007) itself, so perhaps replacing it with a more modern, Mac-friendly, portable external could be of assistance. It houses all of my music files, so it is always plugged. Replaced with: a 1TB WD My Passport for Macs. That drive itself runs a bit smoother than the last, but didn't help much with the overall computer.

* Attempted a swipe and re-install of the latest OS X software. Proceeded to boot, do everything- no real change to its behaviour. On to the drastic measures

* Full sweep clean of drive and fresh install of latest OS X software. Deleted all software currently on computer, no backups used, in the event something were corrupted. The iMac seems a tad faster, but still gives me (at random) lengthy beach ball waiting times on internet usage, iTunes, and even stalls the Finder, as to not force quit applications. Those are basically all the applications currently installed; didn't even yet unloaded the Adobe CS on it

I believe it's capable of handling up to 4GB of RAM, and it currently is using the stock 1GB x2 of DDR2. Naturally, doubling this with the max allowance should enhance applications such as Adobe's, but being the computer is from 2007, is it worth the time and money to install fresh RAM? - or would one say the iMac has reached its lifespan regardless? I've honestly never had a computer last this long.... hahaha. If replacing, I will most likely go with a MacBook Pro, having the option to go mobile with the pretty Mac, versus stationary with this behemoth.

And... its frozen in time twice since attempting to type this, each for perhaps fifteen seconds or more. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!!!

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:05 PM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:12 PM in response to guiparent

If you want to keep in running, I would probably run Snow Leopard on it since that is a very stable system and runs well on 2 GB. Mavericks however should have at least 4 GB; depending on what you use it for, more would be much better. And, do not "overtax" it with too many apps open and running at the same time - quit one before opening another. Also, be careful of anything 3rd party you install and clean out your login items if you have any - that takes a lot of resources on startup.

Jul 11, 2014 2:12 AM in response to guiparent

I always say, when your system is getting painfully slow to point of frustration, there are a number of things you should try:

1. Delete all the rubbish apps, addins and unnecessary files you don't need anymore and free up disk space.

2. OR Do a clean install of the operating system to ensure you are running as optimised as possible.

3. Upgrade the components where you can (HDD to SSD), max out the memory.

4. If it's still slow, admit defeat, list it on eBay and put the cash towards a new one.

Upgrading the memory is a no-brainer in your case if you are wanting to keep it. Check out http://www.crucial.com/ and the Crucial Advisory Tool for a guaranteed upgrade for your system.

For example:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/Apple/imac-2*8ghz-intel-core -2-duo-%2824-inch---800mhz%29-mb325ll-a

4Gb (2 x 2Gb) will cost you $72

Saying that, in your case, I would say go on treat yourself and buy a new one if you have the cash. Your investment back in 2007 has done you proud 7 years later. Check out eBay. Your iMac is still selling for good money. The extra memory will buy you a little more time, but with OS X Yosemite coming out soon, wouldn't it be great to have a nice shiny new Macbook Pro (as you hint at) :-). Especially as the sale value of your existing iMac is only going to go down.

Jul 11, 2014 7:26 AM in response to guiparent

Agree with the need to check out your memory limits whether with Crucial or OWC, depending on your location. They differ in price and you have to add shipping costs in some cases.

Do take time to check out what programs you currently use that are based on Rosetta.

Sorry, but the new system makes me edit out the links. I will check and post further if possible.

Jul 12, 2014 8:37 PM in response to seventy one

I should mention- the HDD has been replaced (or upgraded, rather,) about 1 and 1/2 years ago. The computer seemed fried at the time, but it was simply a deathly drive- upgraded to a WD 1TB drive, so we're good there! The only thing lacking would be RAM.

I should also reiterate that I do not (or barely) have anything installed on the computer, and no programs currently running on start-up. I believe I have the latest version of Toast Titanium, the Firefox browser, and Phone Clean.

The lag can be rather at random, and affects the Finder, as well as all the other programs eventually, if attempting a switch to one of them in the meantime

Jul 12, 2014 9:21 PM in response to guiparent

Currently a 2 x 2GB kit from OWC is only $60.

see > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

Additionally if you plan on keeping it for awhile longer and/or upgrading it to a later OS X, notice that OWC also has a tested 6GB kit for the Late 2007 models.

FWIW we still have an Early 2006 Core Duo with 2GB of RAM running 10.6 Snow Leopard, and it is still an excellent computer for the grandkids to use for, web searches, games, photos and homework.

Jul 12, 2014 10:45 PM in response to den.thed

here is my dilemma- if I plan to keep this machine a while longer, it will indeed have the Adobe Creative Suites, GarageBand, and other large programs. No real hardcore games, per se, but a bit graphic intensive demanding on the program side.

i know the fan is a bit weak, seeing its appearance while replacing the HDD; is it worth taking apart the machine again just to dust clean it?

although getting a newer machine might be fun, I'm worried about the overall cost and future maintenance, especially a MacBook Pro, since just about everything is now soldered and almost impossible to upgrade... plus they're darn expensive on the mid-to-high models!

is it time for a new computer yet? (or can it be saved..)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.