Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play iTunes Extras?

I have upgraded my AppleTV with the new 6.2 upgrade and my laptop with iTunes 11.3 that are supposed to support iTunes Extras on the AppleTV. How do I access the content on the Apple TV?

I have tried with newer movies that I have in HD like The LEGO Movie and Frozen both of which are listed as having compatible iTunes extras which I can watch in iTunes 11.3. (The LEGO Movie was purchased directly from iTunes, Frozen was a Digital HD copy that came with the BluRay).

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:19 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 8:23 AM in response to a2wk

Same problem here, and my ATV is set to play HD content. I've tried restarting iTunes and my ATV, but someone on another forum said something about 10 restarts of the ATV before it'd work. I might try a full reset tonight.

On that note...will this work from the Computers menu (for home sharing, since that's where I stream all my media from), or is only from Movies > Purchased? That would be super annoying if it were the case, because I have custom genres setup that don't match Apple's less-than-exciting ones.

Jul 11, 2014 8:49 AM in response to a2wk

I haven't throughly tested as my iTunes library is currently a mess, but my understanding (which is hopefully wrong) is that on AppleTV this is all cloud playback only via Movie>Purchases, and that older downloaded Extras in iTunes won't stream when Home Sharing under Computers.

I also understand that the background for the Extras movie startup screen is non-animated currently.

In some ways I might like an option in the future to disable Extras - I'm glad they're adding functionality but I arrely ever watch Extras on DVD/BluRay or even AppleTv1 when available for that matter. If it's cloud only that's not great for those of us with slow internet though often extras are currently SD for many features.

iTunes LP would be the next welcome addition.

Jul 11, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Ge0ph

You just go to the movie splash page for any given movie you've purchased (has to be an HD title) and when you select play, you'll now see a menu for that movie instead of the movie immediately playing. The movie has to have the Extras badge (blue square) shown on the detail page since not every movie has Extras. Looks like Apple created a featured section on the iTunes Store to show which movies come with Extras. You also have to have the latest version of the Apple TV software installed too.

Jul 11, 2014 11:22 AM in response to a2wk

Well, I'll chime in with my own test….

Cleopatra (Burton/Taylor 1963) downloaded to iTunes some time ago in HD.

iTunes Extras files also downloaded with animated backdrop on menu screen.

AppleTV:

Movies>Purchased (cloud) No iTunes Extras

Computers>iTunesLib>Movies Main movie only

Pretty poor show really - no legacy format support, cloud only it seems and inferior quality (static vs animated)…..I'm actually very very surprised and cannot fathom why it should be so difficult to implement unless it's a new format with better options going forward…

How do I play iTunes Extras?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.