Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I play the Extras of a movie purchased in iTunes on my AppleTV?

I have several Extras on Movies purchased in iTunes. The Extras only show up in iTunes, not on AppleTV. Is there a way to see the Extras on AppleTV so I can play them?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:04 PM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 1:26 AM in response to stmike

I believe that the new iTunes 11.3 (just released) allows the Extras to be ran through the Apple TV. Not tried it myself, but I would imagine that the Extras may only be available when streaming from your Mac rather than downloading it direct to the Apple TV.

Ensure you are on the latest iTunes version and update if necessary.

Jul 11, 2014 3:33 AM in response to stmike

Based on my limited tests, you can only stream iTunes Extras from Apple's servers using the "Movies" app on the Apple TV. You cannot play the previously downloaded Extras through the "Computers" app on the Apple TV.

In iTunes on your Mac (probably Windows as well), if you click on an iTunes Extras, it may offer to delete your original Extras, allowing you to stream the new Extras from Apple's servers. (This may only happen for certain movies that are set up for this feature, as it is rolled out movie by movie.) It will inform you about you how much space will be freed by doing so. Be aware that if you let iTunes delete the "iTunes Extras (Original Version)", it seems that you will lose the ability to watch them while you are offline.

Jul 11, 2014 6:43 AM in response to Whywutt

When I am in iTunes on my MacBook Pro and I've clicked on Movies (Library) and then on List tab at the top I can see all the movies that downloaded with Extras. This is the only place I see the Extras. I have the 11.3 version of iTunes. Now on AppleTV I can see "iTunes Extras" under the Movies icon. And I can see movies that offer them. But under "Purchased" in Movies, I cannot see or view any Extras that I have previously downloaded on my computer. I can see the movies that I purchased on my computer but none of the Extras that are listed.

Can you help with this?

Thanks

Jul 11, 2014 11:59 AM in response to stmike

Make sure your Apple TV has the latest software update. In the Movies app on the Apple TV, try selecting a purchased movie. You should see the description and the usual set of controls for Preview, Play, Wish List, and More... If there is a blue iTunes Extras logo near the top of the screen, you are in luck. Not all movies that originally came with extras will have the streamable extras that the Apple TV can access. Once you have a movie description with the blue iTunes Extras logo displayed, select the normal Play control. Instead of it immediately playing the movie, this should take you to a second intro screen that has options to play the movie or select the new extra features.

How can I play the Extras of a movie purchased in iTunes on my AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.