Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4's running iOS 7.1.2 will not connect to wifi?

Both my iPhone 4 and 4s will not connect to my homes Wifi. I'm aware that there are MANY different forums with the same question but I have tried everything from what i've seen and nothing has worked. I also have an iPad and MBP that are connected to the wifi just fine. I'm only curious because, well, if i'm not using Wi-fi, i'm using up Data. I don't think this is a "take your phone to an Apple Genius Bar" type of problem because it has happened before on multiple occasions. I did nothing out of the ordinary to fix it before; it just simply worked again after an hour or two but it has been far longer than that this time.

Is there anyone else who has tried most, if not all solutions and found any ways to figure out what the exact problem could be? I think it would be cool if apple could give us an error such as "Unable to join the network 'xxxxx' (Error:#000090)" <--So that at least we'd have some type of idea of what's wrong. No solutions have worked so far and it's becoming a hassle 😢. Thanks to any help.

Also, usually when it happens before it acts as if it's attempting to connect (spinning thing goes for about 5-6 seconds), but now it's like the exact moment I go to put my password in, it rejects me. It all happened out of the ordinary, I left home for about an hour, came back, and this is what came to be.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:19 PM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2014 7:28 AM in response to Jachin W.

Hey there Jachin W.,

It sounds like you are unable to connect to your home Wi-Fi suddenly on 2 different iOS devices. I would be interested to know if the affected phones are able to connect to a different Wi-Fi connection, but barring that I would use the following article to help troubleshoot the devices and the Wi-Fi connection:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

1. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and on. If your Wi-Fi setting is dimmed, follow these steps.
  2. Restart your iOS device.
  3. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected.
  4. Tap User uploaded file and Forget this Network.
  5. Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
    Note: You may need to enter your Wi-Fi password again if your network requires one.
  6. Turn your Wi-Fi router off and on2. If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
  7. Update your device to the latest version of software.
  8. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2. For AirPort Base Stations, install updates using the AirPort Utility.

And this section from toward the bottom if needed:

Unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network

1. Verify that you're attempting to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
  2. Make sure you're entering your Wi-Fi password correctly. Passwords may be case sensitive and may contain numbers or special characters.
  3. Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
    • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
    • recently used Bluetooth accessories
    • VPN and APN settings

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Jul 14, 2014 7:36 AM in response to Jachin W.

As you didn't say what you tried I may be repeating something that you have already done, but that's to be expected when you don't describe all of the troubleshooting you have done.

This is really basic: Reboot your router by removing all power for about 15 seconds. Don't just turn it off; unplug it.

The next step up from that is to look at your SSID (network name). If it is still the default for your router (e.g., LINKSYS, DLINK, NETGEAR) change it to something else.

My iPhone 4's running iOS 7.1.2 will not connect to wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.