Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 7.1 Seed 1 Developer Preview

This update just appeared in my Mac App Store pane in Preferences.

I'm not sure if this has appeared in error or not and if I should go ahead and install the update.

I'm not a Developer.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:48 PM

41 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:28 PM in response to firesidefromellenville

Did either one of you sign up for the Yosemite public beta testing?

I did and I thought that this was the start of it. If you two did not, then I might of been wrong. Nevertheless, I installed it and so far the only difference that is noticeable. Is the load speed. WAY faster in my opinion. Other than that, it looks the same. No where nears what it looks like it does here...

apps_safari_hero.jpg

KOT

Jul 11, 2014 6:08 AM in response to Kingoftypos

I believe that it is because of the fact that I use Xcode in developer mode and also signed up for beta testing for Yosemite and ios8 that it actually let you and I install it. Several people have had it pop up but it q quickly disappeared without their being able to install it. It installed fine for me as well. It is way faster when loading. Evernote's Clipper no longer works as an extension. Big elfin deal. That's what the menu icon is for.

Jul 11, 2014 6:25 AM in response to DoctorAcula

I never signed up for any developers testing of either Yosemite or IOS8, and due to the time of day I went ahead and installed the update. Can't say, at least at this time, that there is any difference in Safari. I don't use any extensions and it just seems about what it was like before. I guess I am more upset about how Apple hoisted this onto us, admittedly I did click to install it, but none the less it seems certain of us were chosen to test this.

Jul 11, 2014 6:32 AM in response to firesidefromellenville

Yea, it sounds like, at least now, that you realize that you didn't have to install it. On mine it clearly states that it is for developers and that it's a preview. Lately, Apple will put right in the first couple of lines of the update description that "this update is for all Mavericks users". I'm paraphrasing obviously but something to that effect. If you did neither of the things that I and a few other did then I have no idea how you managed to install that. I've asked about 15 people and you are the only person so far that was able to install it without any connection to some type of development association. I'm sure that someone more "in the know" will come up with something but for now, I'm just going to be happy that Safari is literally twice as fast off the dock.

Jul 11, 2014 7:24 AM in response to DoctorAcula

This morning, with at least two coffee's down the neck I looked again at the update history in the MAS app, and found that along with the update for Safari my computer also updated iTunes to 11.3. I then checked in Systems Preferences and found that under Software Update (actually it is MAS button) I had checked install app updates, something I think I didn't have checked before, preferring it just to do the automatic checking for updates. I think the recent upgrade to 10.9.4 somehow checked that button. I make no excuses on my part, I saw the pop up, misread it, and clicked it........

Jul 11, 2014 8:44 AM in response to firesidefromellenville

I am in the exact same boat as "firesidefromellenville", except I do NOT have "Install app updates" checked in System Preferences/App Store. I manually installed Safari 7.1 Seed 1 -- it was early this AM and I clicked install. Two hours later, I checked the App Store on another computer of mine and the option to install Safari 7.1 Seed 1 doesn't come up.

Anyone know if there is a way to roll this back?

Safari 7.1 Seed 1 Developer Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.