Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd problem with partitioning the disk-- it says it needs to be a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume, but it already is? (Screenshots in post)

I have a 1 TB Macbook Pro running Mavericks.

My disk is a single-volume...

Here is the information on my disk:

User uploaded file

And I'm trying to use boot camp assist to partition my disk, like this:

User uploaded file

But when I do, I get this error message:

User uploaded file

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

It already is a single Mac OS Extended journaled volume. Right? Here is an image from Disk Utility:

User uploaded file

Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:11 PM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 7:36 AM in response to iTouch questions

Hey there!

It sounds like you are unable to install BootCamp due to an error that your some files cannot be moved, and to format your disk as a single volume, but you have confirmed that it already is. I would verify and repair your disk permissions with the following article next, if you have already restarted your computer and tried again:

Disk Utility 12.x: Repair disk permissions

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5821

1. Choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X.Software updates sometimes change a file’s permissions to improve security, so updating your software can solve some permissions problems.
  2. Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
  3. Select the disk you want to check.You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X v10.7 Lion installed.
  4. Click First Aid.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • Click Verify Disk Permissions to test permissions.
    • Click Repair Disk Permissions to test and repair permissions.

Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, or third-party applications.

If that does not resolve the issue, I would next verify and repair the disk with this:

Disk Utility 12.x: Repair a disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5836

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Odd problem with partitioning the disk-- it says it needs to be a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume, but it already is? (Screenshots in post)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.