Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does computer log out when it not inactive

This has been bugging me since Tiger. I like it when my computer logs out when I and it are doing nothing. But I don't like it when it logs out when I am rendering a movie, watching a DVD or listening to iTunes. It would seem the log out function would be smart enough to know while I am not doing anything but watching or listening or the computer doing tasks. If the computer is doing something it should not log out. Is this rocket science? Yes I know I can stop the log out process in preferences, but that is a pain in the butt. Is OS X really that dumb it can not tell when I am running a program and not log out, or am I missing something?

Rachael

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:42 AM

Yes, it is really that dumb. The idle timeout is based on user input, not background activity.

9 replies

Jul 11, 2014 1:08 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris,

Ok if I understand this once the screen saver starts, it should lock the screen if I set it to require a password immediately. I have turned off the auto log out. But the instructions for using Control + Shift + Eject will not lock the screen immediately. I don't know if this is because I am on a Mac Pro and not a laptop.

If I set the require password after the screen saver starts to 30 minutes that should work, I guess I can test this by setting the screen saver to 1 minute and see what happens. I am unable to find how to lock the screen by command.

Thanks Rachael

Jul 11, 2014 4:16 PM in response to Rachael Jellicoe

Yep. I use a hot corner also.

Then I can set the auto sleep to like an hour or so in case I go into a coma at my desk and that will put the computer to sleep, I guess

If iTunes is playing a song or you are rendering a movie, the screen saver can come on & lock and the displays can sleep (System prefs > Energy Saver) , but the computer will not sleep.

Why does computer log out when it not inactive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.