Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 Screen blacked out device still runs though

Hi my iPad 4th Gen was working fine on iOS 7.1.2 and i left it alone for a few hours however when i got back the screen was black and i connected it to itunes and apparently it was still running at 60% battery. i tried a soft reset by holding home button and power button but nothing happened. i also did many restores and the screen remains black however the restores were 'successful'. One strange thing i encountered was after i did a recovery mode restore, the ipads backlight stayed on but the screen still remained black. any help would be appreciated

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:15 PM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2014 2:02 AM in response to nikhilrules

You've got the "Black screen of death" issue. I had similar with my ipad2 when on holiday but managed a workaround for it through good old "Percussive maintainence".. 🙂.

it's a dodgy connection between the motherboard and the display.

Do this, and if it fails, take it to apple to get fixed (you'll need to do that at some point anyway as it can only be permanently fixed through poking the hardware...)

1. take the ipad out of any case.

2. Switch on (the screen will be black but the backlight on i assume).

3. lie the pad face down on the palm of one hand.

4. With the other, slap the back of the case on the apple symbol with increasing severity/strength until the screen springs back into life.

5. if your hand hurts too much before the screen is working again, then back to apple to fix the connector.

Shame I didn't know of this fix when I needed to keep my son entertained for a 4 hour flight. 4 hours, confined space, bored child= nightmare.. 🙂.

Stu.

iPad 4 Screen blacked out device still runs though

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.