Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Ipod touch (5th Gen) won't charge

my Ipod touch (5th Gen) won't charge without me constantly pressing the charger into my ipod or fidgeting with it for at least 10 minutes. i sent it in to be repaired but it's being sent back since it has a few nicks on the corners from an accident that happened three months before i started having problems. i got it back in february so it should still be covered by the warranty, and i don't have the money to get another just like that.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:56 PM

Hey Feanixflame, Not sure I understand why it was not repaired, I'm guessing no problem was found. Anyway... Have you inspected the charging port for foreign debris? Packed lint in the bottom of the port can push the charging cable out preventing a solid electrical connection. With a strong light and a magnifying glass look in the port, your looking for signs of damage, cracks or missing pieces and debris. Attempt to blow out debris, but you may need to dig it out with a non-conductive probe, I find a round wooden toothpick works best. Be careful not to touch or bent the gold pins on the long side of the port. Also make sure the locking pins on the ends, the silver bumps on the ends, are free of debris and push back, they are a spring lock that holds the cable end in the port. If free of debris, try another cable and a different charging device if possible. (Trouble shooting 101.) It is possible your cable has developed a short. The lighting cables have a history of failure and Apple will replace the cable for free if found to be defective and you are within one year from date of purchase. The last thing to try would be to reset this iPod or last resort, after you make a full backup to your computer of all data / info on this iPod attempt a restore from backup or restore to new. If nothing works, contact your Apple store or the Apple Genius Bar, set up an appointment to have your iPod evaluated. Make sure your bring the iPod and charging cable. Good luck. Cheers.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 11:56 PM in response to Feanixflame

Hey Feanixflame, Not sure I understand why it was not repaired, I'm guessing no problem was found. Anyway... Have you inspected the charging port for foreign debris? Packed lint in the bottom of the port can push the charging cable out preventing a solid electrical connection. With a strong light and a magnifying glass look in the port, your looking for signs of damage, cracks or missing pieces and debris. Attempt to blow out debris, but you may need to dig it out with a non-conductive probe, I find a round wooden toothpick works best. Be careful not to touch or bent the gold pins on the long side of the port. Also make sure the locking pins on the ends, the silver bumps on the ends, are free of debris and push back, they are a spring lock that holds the cable end in the port. If free of debris, try another cable and a different charging device if possible. (Trouble shooting 101.) It is possible your cable has developed a short. The lighting cables have a history of failure and Apple will replace the cable for free if found to be defective and you are within one year from date of purchase. The last thing to try would be to reset this iPod or last resort, after you make a full backup to your computer of all data / info on this iPod attempt a restore from backup or restore to new. If nothing works, contact your Apple store or the Apple Genius Bar, set up an appointment to have your iPod evaluated. Make sure your bring the iPod and charging cable. Good luck. Cheers.

Jul 11, 2014 1:18 AM in response to Feanixflame

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jul 11, 2014 7:17 PM in response to Feanixflame

Hey Feanixflame, That explains why Apple did not repair, you didn't say anything about possible water damage. You don't have to drop your iPod in the toilet to get water damage, (happens more than you think, read the forums 😮 !) Even going from a cool area to a hot and humid area could could cause condensation and water damage. Not saying it will happen every time you go from the A/C cooled house to the sweltering outdoors, but it is possible. And it only takes a few drops of water to wreak havoc with your iPod. I'm guessing you"ll be just fine, most likely your iPod has dried out, and has little to no damage. To be save get into the habit of always backup your iPod to your computer, (something you should be doing anyway), because the funny thing about water damage is you just never know when or if your iPod will fail. Hope this helps. Cheers.

my Ipod touch (5th Gen) won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.