Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 7.1 Seed 1

On Mavericks 10.9.4 Software Update has just offered, and installed, Safari 7.1 Seed 1 developer preview. I am not a developer.

Is this intentional?

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:07 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 12:29 AM in response to Ton Van Hest

Ton Van Hest wrote:

How to get rid of this new version and back to the old. Without having to reinstall everything?

The previous Safari version could be restored from the Time Machine but the new version needs to be forcibly removed first, the OS will not allow a simple move to Trash.

The command below will remove the unwanted version but take care, there is no undo to this operation. (To avoid mistakes the Finder in List view with the 'Version' column enabled is good.

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Safari.app

Extensions will need to be re-enabled.

The other option is to wait for Apple to undo the mistake.

I have got rid of the Seed here.

Jul 11, 2014 1:34 AM in response to Ton Van Hest

Ton Van Hest wrote:

Thanks for the info. Do you maybe also know how I can prevent getting these developer updates?

I am sure it is just a mistake and probably will never happen again. The (very) small print initial Software Update window did show that the Safari update was a Seed, I did spot that and decided to have a look see anyway. The Safari component of the update could be declined on expanding the window to show the individual updates, avoiding the Update All option.

Update:

Tried that but keep ketting the new version i.e. keeps asking to activate extensions.

That is why I suggested using the Finder in list view with version numbers to see when Safari 7.0.5 was reached in the Time Machine.

Hope that helps, it worked here.

Jul 13, 2014 2:26 AM in response to IoNonciRoberto

IoNonciRoberto wrote:

Same problem here...

If I try to install OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update? Can this resolve, and install the right version of Safari?

From answers given elsewhere, probably not.

The best answer is to restore OS X, the point to note is that the Seed install installs more than just Safari.app.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13871

This is a replacement of OS X only, user data is left alone. It took about 45 minutes here, it would be longer on a slow internet connection, but once started the machine can be left to get on with it.

Safari 7.1 Seed 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.