Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app icon name (???.icns) not always same as the app name

Hello friends,

I've noticed that some apps have a different designation for their .icns than their app name. I can use finder to drill down to /Contents/Resources to find the icon name for a given application (visually). For example, I've noticed that the Calendar app has 'App.icns' and not 'Calendar.icns'.

I need to be able to do this programmatically. i.e. find the right icns for any app. Any suggestions, code samples, etc...?

I hope I've formulated my question clearly and correctly.

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:22 PM

6 replies

Aug 1, 2014 6:18 AM in response to twtwtw

Hi people!

Is there any option to change the Calendar icon (Mavericks) to make it really changes to the current day in the Dock??

I'm struggling with that but no chance!

Let me explain better, I'm trying to find out how calendar icon changes, is it using different icons? or is it using sourcecode to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 1, 2014 7:36 AM in response to msuper69

Magic...

Nice one...

Any way, what I'm trying to do is to play around with the Calendar icon and, if it's possible, learn how it works, which part of the source code is related to the automatic change at the dock icon and modify it if it's possible.

btw, it is not a matter of life or death...

Thanks again for your time! 😀

app icon name (???.icns) not always same as the app name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.