Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

suspending Safari windows

I routinely have 15-20 browser windows open with 5-10 tabs open in each one. They eat up lots of RAM and consume tons of CPU bandwidth just sitting there being ignored.

Is there any way to suspend windows so they don't consume CPU time?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 5:54 AM

I was looking for the same add-on to suspend safari inactive tabs. I found this, which I believe is what you are looking for as well.

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.Vocab7.thesuspender-QMHYRDLA 7A

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 9:17 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I found an addon for Chrome called OneTab that examines all of the open tabs in a window, then makes a background on a new tab with links to the other tabs, closing them in the process and leaving only one open that's only connected locally.

The problem with that particular addon is ... it doesn't work properly. It opens the ONE tab who's link you click on, then seems to delete the rest. I'm not sure what it's not doing correctly, but it's not too useful with that behavior. (I could be using it wrong.)

My only desire would be to have it create thumbnail images of each tab and put them on the form so you can see visually what's there rather than having text URLs.

Something like that would be perfect for Safari to reduce memory and CPU consumption of inactive windows.

suspending Safari windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.