Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Automator to add a space?

I have several workflows based on various tasks: article writing, making presentations, making graphics etc. I want to make it so that when I launch a workflow, it starts by generating a new space for that workflow. Linking apps to spaces isn't going to work for me, because I use some of the same apps for different tasks.

rMBP, OS 10.9.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:50 AM

Automator doesn’t have any actions to manipulate desktops.

Applescript has some Desktop items in the System Events dictionary, but I don’t think they relate to Mission Control Desktops.

In this StackOverflow question, there is an entry that uses Applescript UI scripting to make the new Desktop. It is just telling the system to click on the new desktop button in mission control:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9606221/how-can-i-programmatically-add-a-spac e-to-mission-control

You could add that script in a Run Applescript action in Automator.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Eastohio

Automator doesn’t have any actions to manipulate desktops.

Applescript has some Desktop items in the System Events dictionary, but I don’t think they relate to Mission Control Desktops.

In this StackOverflow question, there is an entry that uses Applescript UI scripting to make the new Desktop. It is just telling the system to click on the new desktop button in mission control:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9606221/how-can-i-programmatically-add-a-spac e-to-mission-control

You could add that script in a Run Applescript action in Automator.

Jul 11, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Barney-15E

That was great, thanks. I can now open a space, and I've made it resolution independent by tweaking that script a little and I've made it automatically switch to that space. However, now the problem is that if any of the apps are already open, the OS switches back to the spaces they're in rather than make new windows in my new space. I'm posting this as a separate question as it's kind of a separate issue.

Can I use Automator to add a space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.