Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iphone remembering networks I told it to forget?

So I've been experiencing an odd syncing issue. It has a few layers

So sometimes, I accessing xfinity wifi. When I am done, I forget the network as I don't need to access it often. However, at some later point in time, maybe days later, it comes back without me asking!

What's crazier is that xfinity shows up on my home iMac as a remembered network in the control panel, and I have never accessed xfinity in my life from my home iMac since I have home wifi. A list of other networks I've accessed from my phone also shows up on my Mac, some from across the country... in fact it seems to be every network I've ever accessed.

My point is that all my iOS devices appear to be syncing wifi networks. I want my iPhone to forget xfinity until I manually select it later. But when I'm driving at some point it comes back. I've reset network settings, completely wiped the phone (admittedly I restored from an iCloud backup, the backup was after I reset network settings), and deleted all the networks I did not want from my iMac, but they all keep coming back. I even forget a bunch of old airport networks I've not visited in years, and they keep coming back.

It would be nice if there was some kind of list I could find and edit on the phone and try to force all devices to not sync this data any more. Any advice will be appreciated. My goal is to not have xfinity, CableWifi, TWCwifi (those also keep popping up, and I may have joined them once... EVER.) and any other myriad number of networks I've remotely touched not show up on my iPhone any more after I ask to forget the network.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:39 AM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2017 1:41 PM in response to wjosten

iCloud Keychain does sync Wi-Fi networks and passwords among your devices using iCloud Keychain.

I have a similar issue where my iPhone will join CableWiFi or TWCWiFi. I don't want to join these networks. I will click on the I button in Wi-Fi preferences pane and click on Forget This Network.

Within a day, the phone will have rejoined one of these networks.

Jul 11, 2014 5:00 AM in response to TheDevilsAdvocate

First, WiFi networks DO NOT sync. Second, I don't think you understand what "Forget this Network" actually does:

Your phone will only forget the credentials for that network, including any security password, and will no longer connect automatically when your phone discovers it. But it isn't blocked forever. If will show up next time in range, simply tap on its name within the Wi-Fi menu, and enter the security code.

Why is my iphone remembering networks I told it to forget?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.