Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change a case sensitive drive to a case insensitive drive

Hi

i recently installed a new hard drive into my macintosh (mac book pro 2012) and i accidentally installed my OS on to a case sensitive drive, i have everything backed up onto a Time Machine so i was wondering if there was any way of changing the drive format on the internal drive to a insensitive one if possible, if you can help PLEASE help i just want to get Steam!!!

Cheers Henry

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 5:10 AM

If you don't have any non-OSX operating systems (like Windows, Linux or it's variants) and have a backup on Time machine, you can use Command+R during power-up and restore from a TM backup to get back what you want. This erases your hard drive, so make sure you have good backups.

You can verify your latest backup using the 'Enter Time Machine' under System Preferences -> Time Machine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 5:10 AM in response to HRussellMedia

If you don't have any non-OSX operating systems (like Windows, Linux or it's variants) and have a backup on Time machine, you can use Command+R during power-up and restore from a TM backup to get back what you want. This erases your hard drive, so make sure you have good backups.

You can verify your latest backup using the 'Enter Time Machine' under System Preferences -> Time Machine.

Jul 11, 2014 6:07 AM in response to HRussellMedia

It depends.

If your latest backup is using case-sensitive file system AND this is what you restore, it will be case-sensitive.

If you go to an older backup which was made using case-insensitive filesystem, you may end up with older files and may end up restoring individual files by hand from later backups to get up-to-date.

You need to decide where you want to be.

change a case sensitive drive to a case insensitive drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.