Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my account To my new ipad?

I have a new Mini/Retina that I want to replace my iPad 2 with. I want to use my same old AT&T account for cellular/data connection, so how do I transfer my account To my new iPad?

The guy at the AT&T store (where I bought the Mini) said I would have to start it as a backup from the old machine, and I might have to switch SIM cards (believable), but there must be more to it than that. At what point shoud I shut off the old iPad account? If I do it at the wrong time it seems like there should be a conflict (perhaps the SIM card). Is there a procedure posted anywhere? (He also gave me a 1-800 number to call for help - so I suspect I'll need it. But you guys are so good, I'll start here.)

TIA

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 5:19 AM

I'm afraid all I really know about is how to get the data from your 2 to your new iPad.

You do a full backup of your two. If you set it up via iTunes, use iTunes to back it up.

Then disconnect it and plug your mini in. Go through the set up of your mini but when you see the options to set up as new or restore from a backup, choose to restore which should put the backup you just made onto your mini, making it a near clone of your two. You'll still need to enter your wifi password and sign into various websites the the data will be there.

I would call the 800 number or look on AT&T's site to see if they have step by step instructions on moving your SIM to a new device.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 5:19 AM in response to slothead tom

I'm afraid all I really know about is how to get the data from your 2 to your new iPad.

You do a full backup of your two. If you set it up via iTunes, use iTunes to back it up.

Then disconnect it and plug your mini in. Go through the set up of your mini but when you see the options to set up as new or restore from a backup, choose to restore which should put the backup you just made onto your mini, making it a near clone of your two. You'll still need to enter your wifi password and sign into various websites the the data will be there.

I would call the 800 number or look on AT&T's site to see if they have step by step instructions on moving your SIM to a new device.

Jul 11, 2014 6:24 AM in response to slothead tom

If your iPad 2 has a newer iOS version than your new iPad Air then you'll need to update the iPad Air to newest iOS before you can restore it from the iPad 2's backup. Its conceivable that being in the store the new iPad air does not have the most recent iOS installed.

Anyway as to the AT&T service. you should not have to anything on the old iPad.

Simply remove the sim card, go to your AT&T store and ask for a new sim that fits your new iPad with your current service on it. Then simply insert the new sim card into the new iPad. In the process of setting up the new sim card, the old one will be deactivated by AT&T.

Without a sim card the old iPad will have no cell service.

Jul 11, 2014 7:57 AM in response to Phil0124

Yep that sounds all accurate Phil, but it doesn't help me any (I already had discovered that). So the next question (since I am proceeding with my previously concluded plan of action), if I separately set up the Mini (it's not an Air, just a Mini/Retina), and update the software to the current version, can I do a factory reset and retain the new updated iOS, or will it revert to the store status (it was version 7.04)?

Jul 11, 2014 8:06 AM in response to slothead tom

Yes. What you'll basically have to do is set your mini up twice

The first time choose to set up as new. Then immediately update the operating system. Then, just to start with a clean slate, go into the settings and 'erase all content and settings ' - which won't effect the operating system but puts hte iPad back to if it was straight out of the box. Then set it up again, this time choose to restore it from the backup of your two.

How do I transfer my account To my new ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.