Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I specify a screen resolution when logging in to OSX server?

I'm considering installing the OSX server app on my Mac mini running Maverick in order to enable me to log in from another computer and specify the screen resolution.

I have the above Mac mini running Maverick as my main computer. I would like to access it from a HP laptop running Ubuntu 13.10 in such a way that the connection to the Ubuntu box will run the 1366x768 resolution on that box and not the 1280x1024 resolution on the Mac minis connected monitor. In other words, I would be using the Ubuntu box as a remote terminal to the server, running all my Mac programs on the Mac (of course).

I'm assuming from my experience with other operating system mixes (mainly Solaris servers) that this is feasible since I would be running a separate session but I'd like confirmation. I've been trying to get help to use vnc with different resolutions depending on which monitor I'm using (the connected one or the Ubuntu box) but I've not been able to get it to work.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:45 AM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2014 5:13 AM in response to Community User

Hi,

When you use Screen Sharing.app or the Apple Remote Desktop.app to run a session on another Mac:

- The monitor connected to the Mac mini will determine what resolutions will be available for the session. The vnc client should scale this but assuming you want the clearest view in the session.

- The session will be independent of the console, as long as you logon under a different account.

- if you choose the account logged on at the console, the session will be at the console.

I'm not sure what VNC app is used on Ubuntu 13.10 but as long as you connect to port 5900 and enable Screen Sharing and Allowed Users on the Mac, it should connect.

I'm assuming the connection is local and not via the internet, in which encryption is required.

Hope this helps

Can I specify a screen resolution when logging in to OSX server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.