Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop Preview popping up ?

While working with photographs in the file system the Preview app keeps popping up. How do I disable this without uninstalling the software?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:45 AM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:57 AM in response to OldThingy

Preview can't be removed from newer versions of OS X. It is the default app for viewing photos on the Mac. So if you double click on a photo file, even if by accident, it will open in Preview because that's what you instructed your Mac to do. The first step to solving the issue would to be more careful in manipulating the files. But if you are trying to work with your photos with an app different than Preview, you can also set that app to be the default app to open the file types for photos. Right click on a photo file and choose Get Info. In the Get Info window is the option Open With to set the app that handles that file type. After selecting a different app to handle photo files you can make it universal on your Mac by clicking the Change All button. You will need to follow these steps for the different file types for photos on your Mac; jpg, png, etc.

Jul 11, 2014 8:08 AM in response to Dah•veed

Thank you Dah.veed for your response.

I will do as you suggest and alter the defaults. My system seems ultra sensitive to mouse or trackpad movement and is somewhat annoying as quite a few actions are invoked without intent. I notice on most software these days including Windows on pc's that the younger developers like to create "Intuitive Response Software." This can be infuriating for an old designer like me. I am not buying a Smart phone - it might be cleverer than me!

Thanks again, OldThingy

How do I stop Preview popping up ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.