Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto, imovie & garageband missing

Hello!

I've reformatted my macbook air 2013 using the internet, because I want to give it to my gf.

After reformatting, these apps were missing from the laptop.

I've searched some issue related to my question, but I can't see any apps in the purchases tab in app store.

And I've searched these apps and they were not free anymore.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 7:25 AM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:32 AM in response to marjmarj

What version of OS X did you Mac start out with?

On earlier versions (Snow Leopard or Lion I think), the apps came pre-loaded for free. Starting with Mountain Lion, I believe, they weren't free anymore. If you went through a few series of upgrades, the apps would have kept carrying over. A complete re-format, however, would wipe them out. You can still get them through the app store. But (and I'm guessing here) if you started out on an earlier OS X version, you would have never purchased them through the app store; they just came with your Mac. So when you go to the app store, it has no way of knowing that you once had them.

Jul 11, 2014 12:26 PM in response to marjmarj

I think you figured it out.

If you downloaded the apps using your own Apple ID, then you'll need to login to the App Store using that same Apple ID in order to download the apps again. The good news is that there's nothing that prevents you from doing this. The bad news is that every time the apps try to update they're going to require your Apple ID to login to the App Store again. App purchases are tracked by Apple ID, not device.

iphoto, imovie & garageband missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.