Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backup

I set up a time machine backup on my girlfriends macbook air and things worked well at first, but recently she has been getting error messages so I endeavored to set up my time capsule for a fresh backup and I received this error messageUser uploaded file

I went on the time capsule from my macbook to see if I could delete the 24Gig file so we could start over and received this

User uploaded file

I am unfamiliar with the .purgeable designation, and this backup looks completely different from my backup for my macbook pro.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:02 PM

purgeable.. new one to me to.

I am guessing this is mavericks..??

The old version of it was inprogress file.

See pondini here.

A10 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

The method of deleting might be much the same though.

You probably need to do it from the Air rather than your computer.. and you might need to delete the whole sparsebundle and start over.

Mavericks having this purgeable nature to it.

I strongly recommend you look carefully at names. Both the name of the TC and the name of the air can be problematic. Stick to short names, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

I would also make sure ipv6 is set correctly to link-local in the computer network preferences for wireless (and ethernet if you ever buy the adapter). Auto is not good enough.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 6:02 PM in response to D Barrett

purgeable.. new one to me to.

I am guessing this is mavericks..??

The old version of it was inprogress file.

See pondini here.

A10 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

The method of deleting might be much the same though.

You probably need to do it from the Air rather than your computer.. and you might need to delete the whole sparsebundle and start over.

Mavericks having this purgeable nature to it.

I strongly recommend you look carefully at names. Both the name of the TC and the name of the air can be problematic. Stick to short names, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

I would also make sure ipv6 is set correctly to link-local in the computer network preferences for wireless (and ethernet if you ever buy the adapter). Auto is not good enough.

Jul 12, 2014 2:34 PM in response to D Barrett

You do not need to open the file.. just select it, ie click once, then select to trash it or drag to the trash.. exactly the same as Pondini shows for the inprogress file.. last green box. He doesn't open it.. he trashes it.

If you cannot trash it you might need to either delete the file from terminal.. a rather painful process or erase the TC and start over. If the TC already has other backups.. archive them off so you can clean it up.

Time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.