Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the red number mean?

Airport Utility is displaying a red badge with the number 1 next to the icon for my Airport Extreme, which extends my network with an Airport Time Capsule. What does it mean? If it is indicating an update, shouldn't something happen when I click it? Clicking it opens up the inform balloon with an Edit button. But I see nothing inside the Edit to indicate what I am supposed to do.

Thanks for the help,

Van

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:12 AM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

There is no Update button, just an Edit button.

The message under the amber dot is:

Extended Network

This AirPort base station was unable to extend the wireless network. Make sure the wireless network you're trying to extend was set up and is working correctly, that you entered a matching wireless network password into this device, and that this device is in range of the wireless network.

This base station was powered down a few days ago because I was having new carpet put in. The base station is back in its normal place within the house, where it worked perfectly before. I checked the password to the network it is extending, and it is correct. I have powered down the base station, then powered it up, and still the same result.

Any other thoughts? What if I were simply to click Ignore?

Jul 11, 2014 6:53 AM in response to msci1066

If the message says "Extended Network", then the AirPort Extreme is not extending.....or at least it thinks that it is not extending. There are ways to confirm this......but first......

Power off both the Time Capsule and the AirPort Extreme and wait a minute

Then power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a full minute

Then power up the AirPort Extreme the same way

Check AirPort Utility again and report

What does the red number mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.