Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stop an iCloud restore without deleting what is already on my phone?

So long story short I went from a 64gb phone to a 16gb phone but only for a few months. So obviously I can't full restore my phone from iCloud because there isn't enough room. I want to stop the restore and just add the apps I want from my iTunes. If I do this will everything that has downloaded so far(most importantly my contacts and pics) be deleted? Also I don't want iCloud to back-up anything until I get my 64gb phone. What can I do? How do I do this? Thanks for your help.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:40 AM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2014 6:47 AM in response to suesue0910

1. No, under no circumstances should you interrupt the restore once it has started. Doing so may cause all manner of unwanted consequences. If there is insufficient room to do the full restore, it should error out and stop on its own.
  2. Yes, if you have content on the device that is not part of the back you are restoring from, you will lose it.
  3. If Contacts are being synced via iCloud (or other online source), there is no need to restore those from a backup. They should be available when you add the account in Mail.
  4. Turn off iCloud backup here: Settings app > iCloud > Storage & Backup > iCloud Backup (tune OFF)

Can I stop an iCloud restore without deleting what is already on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.