Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Guest User option work with 10.9.4 on Airport express?

The reason I ask is that the guest user option doesn't with the Airport Time capsule I bought last week and the retailer is saying tough:)

Thanks

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:45 AM

14 replies

Jul 11, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

The item to which the Air Port TC is connected is what I use to access my phone and broadband service for a TV cable company,( as opposed to a telco).

Its a Cisco Modem/Router EPC2425 with Digital Voice.

I will bite the bullet on the APTC not providing quest as currently connected, but I do want the Airport express, if I buy it, to have it for the other end of the house.

The existing Belkin wifi extender, which I want to replace, is wired back to the Cisco

Jul 11, 2014 10:38 AM in response to qazxsw52

Unfortunately, the Guest Network feature will not work when any of the AirPorts are connected to a modem/router or gateway type of device, like you are using at the present time.

If that feature is important, ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if they can provide you with a simple modem.....not a modem/router or gateway device like you have now.

Jul 11, 2014 12:26 PM in response to qazxsw52

can I insert a 'simple modem' between the AirPorts and the router so as to get the guest option to work on the Express?

Sorry, but no. Your setup must look like this if you want the Guest Network feature to work correctly:

Internet > Simple Modem > Main AirPort Router > Other Devices

If you added an AirPort Express to the setup just above as another Device, then the Express could "extend" the same Guest Network that the main AirPort router was providing.

Jul 12, 2014 6:17 AM in response to qazxsw52

The device that you have now is a modem/router or gateway. It combines the functions of a separate modem and separate router into one package. You don't want that. You want something like this which is a modem only:

This ISP offers both modem/routers and simple modems:

View Details

Look at Motorola SB6121, Motorola SB6141, Netgear CMD31T, or Zoom 5341J for example.

Unfortunately, Customer Care at the ISP usually cares only about the products that they offer as an ISP. Based on your experience with them, and the fact that they did not even know what a simple modem might be, I would imagine that they do not offer the product option that you need, but hopefully I am wrong.

Jul 12, 2014 10:33 AM in response to qazxsw52

For what it is worth.

The ISP said they don't support 3rd party products such as Apple so I called Apple support.

They asked me to change the Router Mode within the network setting on Airport Utility to DHCP and NAT from just DHCP

The double NAT error came up which they told me to ignore, which I did.

The guest network on the APTC is now working.

Jul 12, 2014 10:50 AM in response to qazxsw52

I am extremely surprised that Apple would tell you to configure the AirPort incorrectly, which creates a Double NAT error on your network.....which may create all kinds of unpredictable results in the future....time will tell.

And then on top of the error, they told you to ignore it.

That's two errors.

This is kind of like having the "Check Engine" light in your car go off, and since the car was still running, you chose to place a piece of tape over the light to ignore the problem.

But, good luck.

Jul 12, 2014 11:45 AM in response to qazxsw52

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

IF.....you had posted here or called Apple to report that you were picking up a Double NAT error message on your AirPort, the advice to fix the problem would have been that when you have another router "upstream" on the network, the AirPort needs to be setup in Bridge Mode, as your AirPort was set up originally.

Sometimes....you can get away with Double NAT on a simple home network.....but the general advice that we give is centered on configuring devices correctly, using standard networking guidelines.

You might want to try the Double NAT setup.......anything is possible, it might work.

Jul 13, 2014 5:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

As the kids are finishing college projects now, I will leave well enough alone for now.

One idea that was suggested y-day was to turn off the cable router, while on the Help call, and see if the Guest Network would work in Bridge mode.

However as the phone line passes through the cable modem this was not a runner,as the mobile phone reception here is chronic.

I will try that once the college projects are done.

I will revert once I get some time to play with it.

Jul 13, 2014 6:15 AM in response to qazxsw52

One idea that was suggested y-day was to turn off the cable router, while on the Help call, and see if the Guest Network would work in Bridge mode.

The modem/router would need to have an option to be configured to operate as a modem only. Most don't. Whether or not that might be possible with your device would be question for your ISP.....who will probably not be very enthusiastic about this.

Even if it might be possible to configure the modem/router as a modem, you would want to make sure that the ISP will offer support for you in the event of connection difficulties. They may not support this type of configuration.

If you have the make and model number of the modem/router handy, I will see if I can locate a setup guide for the device to learn more about it.

Does the Guest User option work with 10.9.4 on Airport express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.