Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to reinstall Garageband 6.0.5

Hi,

I recently installed the newest Garageband 10 release on my Macbook Pro along with the in-app purchase download. The thing is, I also want some of the Legacy presets, loops, instruments as well as options from the older 6.0.5 version. I know these programs can coexist on the same system when you update, but I also did a clean install a few months back and didn't reinstall Garageband 6.0.5.

I do, however, have a Time Machine backup on an external drive that has the older application. Here's my problem, I went through my backup and restored Garageband to its own "6.0.5" folder in my current applications. I go to launch it and it comes up with an error saying it can't find the instruments library and to cancel or choose the correct folder. I pointed it to the current instrument folder, but get the same error.

Are there other folders that I need to restore as well and if so, which ones? Do I need to overwrite the current ones that are in the Garageband 10 folder or create a new separate folder for 6.0.5? I don't want to mess up the current instruments for version 10 and start to get errors there too...

If restoring the older version from my Time Machine is too convoluted, would it be better to just reinstall the older Garageband from my installation disks? Can that be done without overwriting the newer version and it's contents?

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro and the latest OSX Mavericks.

Thanks!!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:47 AM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:19 AM in response to efosket

Downloading GarageBand 6.0.5 from the AppStore may no longer work, since you already installed GarageBand 10.0. Many posters here are seeing "currently not available". If GB 6.0.5 does not show among your Purchases or in the "Accept" portion, reinstall GarageBand 6.0.x from your installer disk. You will need to upgrade to version 6.0.5 from the Support page, before you can launch it. Version 6.0.5 and 10.0 are sharing parts of the Loop library and the Instrument Library, so reinstall version 10.0 afterwards as well.

Jul 11, 2014 7:30 AM in response to léonie

Yeah, the old Garageband doesn't show up in my app store only the newest version. So when I reinstall 6.0.5 from my disc, should I rename the current Garageband 10 to something else, then rename it back when 6 is completely installed. Would this save me from having to reinstall version 10 and downloading/installing its in-app purchase again? Or would that just confuse things further?

Jul 11, 2014 8:00 AM in response to efosket

So when I reinstall 6.0.5 from my disc, should I rename the current Garageband 10 to something else, then rename it back

That will save the application from being overwritten. But the largest part of the download are the items in the folders

/Library/Audio/

and

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

Both versions are installing in these places.

Make a backup, just in case GarageBand 11 will overwrite necessary items for GarageBand 10.0. That should not happen, but I did not install GB '11 on top of 10, so I cannot be sure.

Jul 12, 2014 8:59 AM in response to léonie

Hi again,

So I reinstalled 6.0.5 from the DVD, but it didn't created a sub folder for it and only Garageband 10 was able to launch. I guess you can't install the older one if Garageband 10 exists, only the other way around.

So I uninstalled both from my system. Reinstalled 6.0.5 from the DVD again and was able to launch it without any problems. Then I reinstalled 10 from the app store and that did the trick. It placed 6.0.5 in its own folder and 10 reinstalled with all my app purchased content and is now able to access legacy stuff. Both coexist on my Mac now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!

🙂

Jul 13, 2014 7:17 AM in response to efosket

So I uninstalled both from my system. Reinstalled 6.0.5 from the DVD again and was able to launch it without any problems. Then I reinstalled 10 from the app store and that did the trick. It placed 6.0.5 in its own folder and 10 reinstalled with all my app purchased content and is now able to access legacy stuff. Both coexist on my Mac now.

Thanks for letting us know. This will be useful for the next one, who has to reinstall from DVD.

Best way to reinstall Garageband 6.0.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.