Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s upgrade won't work

With much frustration after several months I have finally arrived here, at the Apple Forum - hopefully to receive a first hand answer to my exact problem, which has been discussed ad nauseum on the forums but still won't solve my situation.

Facts:

I have an iPhone 5s with IOS 7.0.4

I want to update to 7.1.2 using iTunes

I use a Mac with OS X 10.9.4

iTunes Version is 11.3

I have an ADSL 2Mb line

Problem:

Either

iTunes hangs while it tells me "Contacting the iPhone Software update server..."

Or

The download "times out"

With tears in my eyes, I implore someone to assist

I have

1 restored my phone twice

2 restarted my computer numerous times

Much appreciated

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 7:32 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:38 PM in response to 19dmd74

This may be a lot of thing you already tried, you need to explain what you discussed ad-nauseum otherwise we cannot work out where to start.

Is the Mac portable? Can you try another internet connection?

It sounds to me like the connection is not finding the server, that could be due to DNS or proxying on the connection. Trying another internet connection could help rule that out.

You can also specify a DNS server in System Preferences to ensure that the one provided by the router or ISP is not the reason for the error. Google DNS is 8.8.8.8, enter that in the network connection settings & retest. Make a note of any existing values that are not grey (grey = supplied by the router).

It could also be due to certificates, have you changed the CRL or OCSP settings (many people freaked out with heartbleed & chose bad settings within Keychain Access's preferences).

The other thing to do is check logs as the process is failing to see if anything appears with clues. Note down the time you start the update to make searching the logs easier.

Use /Applications/Utilities/Console to view the logs.

Check the 'All messages' section, the ~/Library/Logs section for 'iPhone updater.log'

System.log may have other system wide errors if the OS is failing, but you need to be an admin to view it.

Make sure you clear out any personal info from log output. Post extracts here, just try to select the errors & a few messages around them.

Jul 14, 2014 7:55 AM in response to 19dmd74

You can change it back if you want, just remember how you resolved it if it happens again.

DNS is how the devices take a domain name like 'www.apple.com' and then turn that into the IP address - 23.43.85.66 (a bit like the telephone number of the site 🙂).

It seems that the one configured on your router is not working very well with Apples software delivery network.

You could look at the router & set that to use another DNS server, however if you are not sure about it some things are best left alone 🙂

Some people don't like to use Google DNS because of the way Google keeps track of everything - not great for privacy.

Wikipedia & Google have more on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS

iPhone 5s upgrade won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.