Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime call from Exchange GAL

I am setting up a large number of corporate ipads (>200). We want our user community to be able to FaceTime one another using the Exchange GAL, this means they would always know each other's Facetime email address (ie in Facetime, the address each user could be reached at would be the same as their company email address.)

the ipad ios is 7.1. for each ipad i have setup an Apple ID which is exactly the same as their company email address. the primary email address on this applei id is also identical.

If i try to initiate a call from one company ipad to another from the face time application, when i find the target user from face time using the GAL and then hit the video icon, face time errors when it attempts to use the landline phone number in the gal for the user. i thought that an ipad only uses an email address for face time calls so my assumption was that facetime would take the email address from the gal and map this unique address to the Apple ID database and allow the call to route to the ipad.

i did create on the local iPad contacts database a contact record with a company email address and a telephone number, when initiating a call from this record it use the email address to route the call. using the local contacts db isn't a solution for me as it would require very high maintenance,

reading articles on the web it seems that face time and the gal should play nicely together. my assumption therefore is i am either misunderstanding something or doing something wrong. can anyone help please?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 7:33 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2014 8:14 AM in response to Sporty1954

I Want to preface my comments/suggestions by stating that I know nothing about how the Exchange GAL works in a situation like this and how using iPads in a business setting works either. I am just sharing my knowledge on how FaceTime is designed to work.

A Phone number can only be used for FaceTime of it is an iPhone number and that phone number must be associated with that particular Apple ID in order to use it as the contact address. You need to have each user setup their FaceTime contact address using their email addresses. Settings> FaceTime> You can be reached by FaceTime at>. This should not be a problem if each user has his own Apple ID and that Apple ID is their own company email address. I don't know that this would be easily maintainable by you, but each user would have to maintain the local database in their contacts app - at least as far as I know and I admit that I could very well be wrong. I don't know why the using the GAL would take the phone number and route it to the email address, but like I said, I have no knowledge of how this works with Exchange.

You might be better off posting your question here.

iPad in Business and Education

Facetime call from Exchange GAL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.