Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Update Problem

New MB Air won't Restart after update.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:21 AM

Are you plugged into power?

How old is the machine?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413

Do any lights come on at all on the display, on the battery charge detector, on the sleep light etc...?

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 9:41 AM in response to a brody

2013 MB Air-dead completely. When problem occurred, I had responded to APP STORE window announcing updates to install and went to grey for seconds then apple icon with bar below which filled in showing installation progress. When bar was full, screen went to black, and I waited about a minute, then I tried to push start button with no response. After trying again, I held down start button 15 seconds-nothing happened-then tried again several times and no results. Power cord attached, battery was at 100% when this process began.

Jul 17, 2014 10:27 AM in response to a brody

Well-Apple Repair replaced Flash 128gb memory, and two days later it crashed under identical circumstances: when prompter to install software updates and clicking the button in the update window titled 'Restart', it went to black screen, and will not reawaken. Faint switching sound is heard when power is pushed-otherwise it's a doorstop.

Here's my most recent thread from today.

My MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013) crashed a week ago, and Apple repair replaced SSD. Last night, it crashed again. I'm taking it in to have the SSD replaced again! I saw Apple's Flash Drive Replacement Program for the earlier MBA's, so why haven't they fixed this problem?

Jul 18, 2014 6:29 AM in response to teacher4hire

It may not be the SSD, it could be the RAM. Also you should be careful about updates. Do not at any point hit the power button. You would suffer from an incomplete update. Yes the screen may go temporarily blank as it resets the graphics drivers during the update process, but that does not mean there is any failure, it will reset itself as soon as it has a chance to. By chance, I mean leave the machine on overnight with Energy Saver disabled and power plugged in, and display lid open. Only update if you have need for update and your data is backed up, and you know all your software and drivers are compatible with it. If in doubt, check http://www.roaringapps.com/ and the vendors of any peripherals you might have.

Jul 18, 2014 9:26 AM in response to a brody

a brody-thanks, you're probably right. No reason Apple would put a bad SSD into a repair, just to have it return all fried in 2 days. But, it's a mystery for them to solve now, as they replaced the ailing MBA with a new one. The 'old' one had been purchased less than a year prior to the problem, and they were going to send it to Cupertino for diagnostics and two weeks of refurbishing, so they did the right thing by us, and replaced it. I'd still like to know the fault of such catastrophic and unexpected failure. I'll keep checking the MBA community posts to see if it's happened to anyone else.

Mavericks Update Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.