Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to re-install OSX onto my second hand MacBook - I need to redeem my OSX purchase on the Mac App store

I need to get the OSX redemption code logged into my App le ID account for the OSX re-install to work.

I cannot log onto the App Store from my MacBook and I have no other Apple devices.

The Mac App Store only allows log on from an OSX device.

My friend is concerned that if I log on to the App Store with my credentials it will corrupt his iMAC (used to run his business) - is this an issue?

If not, when the redemption code is entered, I trust this won't overwrite his existing OSX?

Will this get my MacBook re-istalled once we get the redemption code in?

Thank you very much for helping 🙂

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:37 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2014 9:02 AM in response to No_bby

I cannot log onto the App Store from my MacBook and I have no other Apple devices.

As long as you're running OS X, 10.6.6 or later, you should be able to.

My friend is concerned that if I log on to the App Store with my credentials it will corrupt his iMAC (used to run his business) - is this an issue?

Absolutely not. He would have to login to your App Store account before anything could possibly happen.

If not, when the redemption code is entered, I trust this won't overwrite his existing OSX?

It won't change his computer any more than logging into your account will change my Mac, or anyone else's.

Will this get my MacBook re-istalled once we get the redemption code in?

You'll have to explain this further. What version of OS X is your Mac running now? What model MacBook do you have?

Jul 11, 2014 11:09 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you Kurt

I successfully used my friends iMac - I had to log into the App Store App on their machine, using my Apple ID, redeemed my OSX code successfully and logged out. Then when I went back to my MacBook Pro, the online restore facility finally accepted that I had purchased Lion (even though it was Mountain Lion I purchased) and it re-installed successfully (actually re-installed Mavericks that it had already been upgraded to before it crashed). The re-install took nearly 3 hours...

Jul 12, 2014 7:14 AM in response to No_bby

Okay, I wasn't expecting you to use your friend's computer. I just thought you meant you were on the same network.

When you redeem a code, it starts downloading automatically. I'm not sure if logging out of your account after it starts halts it. So two things to check on your friend's Mac. If Mountain Lion completed downloading on his Mac, a screen will be sitting there waiting for you to proceed with the install. Press Command+Q to quit. Nothing has been installed at that point. There's just a very large file in his Applications folder. Second thing is if logging out did halt the download, then there will be a partial copy of the ML installer on the drive.

Either way, go to the Applications folder on his Mac and delete the Mountain Lion installer. Though he may have to do it since it requires entering your admin password to remove that file.

I am trying to re-install OSX onto my second hand MacBook - I need to redeem my OSX purchase on the Mac App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.