Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unapproved Caller and Error Code -50

I recently replaced a Hard Drive in my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro that was corrupted by a stick of bad RAM. It is now running a 1 Terabyte Western Digital HD. Since the replacement I have been receiving two error messages. The error messages only appear after my computer has been woken from sleep. If my HD goes to sleep, upon wake, I can not edit anything on my HD. I can not empty the trash, create new files, or send any files to the trash. When trying to send files to the trash or empty the trash I receive "Error Code -50" which from what I understand means "a user parameter line error."

There is more. When I try to edit any system preferences I receive the "Unapproved caller" message "security agent can only be invoked by apple." During this time I can not create or save any new files as they will not be there upon a reboot. Also, internet browsers do not connect to WiFi, though I am still connected to the internet and can view other resources on the network. Furthermore no apps will run, only bounce in the dock. I can not power off or restart through the apple menu, I am forced to hold the power button down.

Once the computer restarts it is fine until it goes back to sleep. As a work-around I have obviously disabled sleep mode so that this doesn't happen but this is extremely annoying.

I have already checked and repaired permissions several times as well as checked and repaired the disk which never finds any issues. I have also reset RAM and SMC.

I have searched everywhere for information on these error messages and the only information I have found was to replace the HD cable, which has resolved the "unapproved caller" error for some people but not for others.

I am pretty sure this is not a Hardware issue as I have not had any issues with my new HD performance wise. I would think that if it were the SATA cable that I would surely have some slow performance issues which isn't the case.

Besides that replacing the HD cable would still not explain the "error code -50"

I am pretty sure this is software based and somehow related to some security setting though I am unable to figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

- Allen

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:21 AM

Those symptoms are typical of a hardware fault in the storage subsystem. You could have a damaged SATA cable or a faulty logic board.

6 replies

Jul 14, 2014 7:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well the problem is fixed. Turns out it wasn't a SATA cable or logic board failure. Though it was hardware (I guess). Just for the **** of it I decided to open my baby up again today after I was now receiving error -36 when trying to copy and paste to certain directories -_- I was prepared to buy a new SATA cable and glad I didn't. I detached the SATA cable from the logic board and lo and behold right there on the black tape covering the connector was a strand of hair, most likely my own, which somehow made its way between the connector and the logic board! I removed the hair, reseated the cable, and wallah no more errors!. Now not sure if it was the hair alone or the connection was loose but, the connection was pretty **** tight to the point where I was almost afraid to disconnect the cable out of fear of breaking it.

Unapproved Caller and Error Code -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.