Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting timelapse to .mov files?

5K timelapse stills (shot with the Canon 1Dc). I import them into FCPX, no problem. I just want to drag them to a timeline (a single frame for each pic), and then export them out as a 4K ProRes (HQ) movie. In FCP7, simple. Where in FCPX can I set a single still to become a single frame when brought into a sequence/project?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:03 AM

9 replies

Jul 11, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Ben Low

Motion is better suited for creating movies from Image Sequences. You can directly import your 1Dc images as Image Sequences in Motion and turn right around and save them as .mov files. Just set up your project for the size and frame rate you require.

Another app that can do that which costs about $20 less than Motion is Quicktime 7 Pro (available at the online apple store — https://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/.)

Jul 11, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yeah. Frustrating. Especially since FCPX is actually READING and IMPORTING what are essentially RAW files. Beautifully so. But that setting is for 'seconds', not 'frames', right...

And I just tried it too, but though it looks like an import is happening, nothing comes in. Very mysterious.

And this is all in 5K ... though it doesn't seem to have trouble handling the files themselves. But I've got a bunch of these to do and they are each a thousand frames.

Jul 11, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Ben Low

I don't know why my method didn't work as I'm sure it's supposed to.

Another method that's supposed to work is:-

Put the images you want into the timeline. Mark them all (by dragging a frame around them or, if it's the whole project, just press Cmd+A). Right click and choose "Change duration" (or press Ctrl+D). You can now enter the length you want all those clips to be. To make them one frame, just press "1" end then "Enter".

For some reason all my test ones came out as 2 frames . . . at least partial success.

Jul 11, 2014 11:31 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks fox_m; this is an IMAX film. We're trying to hold onto all the quality we can going through the pipeline. I know 4K ain't really IMAX, but my brother - who's done a score of IMAX with the big film camera - is sooooooo happy to be working with the little 4K cameras; and you know, looks pretty good on the big screen ... especially if the story is engaging enough to make you forget technology.

The FCPX solution actually did work - bopped all the RAW stills onto the 'project' timeline, control D to change duration, and changed the duration of all of them at the same time, thank you Ian;

NOTE: When changing the duration, one discovers you have to hit control D, then just start typing in the number you want - if you actually click the duration window, nothing happens, it pops you out of the function mode I think. Or something like that.

I did set up Motion ... which I will be using after today for some effects scenes ... but didn't have the courage at the moment to figure out where I need to set various and sundry things. Tomorrow for that. Meanwhile, FCPX.

Thanks guys... very much appreciated...

Ben

Converting timelapse to .mov files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.