Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I download music from borrowed iPod classic

I have borrowed iPod classic from family member. I am having problems downloading all the music onto my iTunes account. Can anyone please help.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:53 AM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2014 10:46 AM in response to hopity.l

This post is a variation on the other one you created. As such, it asks a slightly different question.

As I mentioned in the other thread you created, making a copy for yourself, of music that someone else has purchased is illegal. My understanding though, is that if the other person is member of your family, who resides under the same roof as you, then you are allowed to put their songs onto your iPod. One method of achieving this is to use Home Sharing.

However, if the family member lives somewhere else - i.e. not under the same roof as you, then you are not allowed to have a copy of music they have purchased.

If you want the music, buy it yourself.

Jul 17, 2014 2:23 AM in response to Fightthegoodfightnow

Fightthegoodfightnow wrote:

...contrary to what "the fiend" implied you do not have to buy the music to listen to it.

There has been no mention of listening to the music in this thread. It specifically asks how to make copies of music purchased by someone else and since you have read the other thread created by hopity.I, then you know exactly what is being discussed here.

You should refrain from taking it out on other people (me included) simply because you don't like the answers you're given. You know what they say... don't shoot the messenger.

Jul 20, 2014 2:08 PM in response to the fiend

Let's stick with the question asked: I think it depends on who and what your relationship is to the 'family member' is and where you live. You may be unable to download the music of your husband, wife, or domestic partner (where legal) from their account to yours but that doesn't make it illegal to assert ownership. I may be wrong (and I doubt it), but music that is legally owned by you is legally jointly owned by you and your partner if you are married or in a legal domestic partner relationship regardless of whether Apple recognizes that relationship with their willingness or unwillingness to merge two i-Tunes accounts. And certainly, one NEVER has to own music to LISTEN to it.

Now some will not like that answer, but I suspect they use Microsoft products, or don't buy music from i-Tunes.

<Edited By Host>

Jul 20, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Fightthegoodfightnow

I question peoples motives for not recognizing joint ownership of digital music owned by gay couples in jurisdictions that recognize such relationships. Like straight couples, unfortunately, individuals who are married or in domestic partnerships may legally own the music of their spouse, but they are unable to merge the ownership of that music from different Apple i-Tunes accounts. Am I wrong?

Jul 20, 2014 2:51 PM in response to the fiend

I question peoples motives for not recognizing joint ownership of digital music owned by gay couples in jurisdictions that recognize such relationships. Like straight couples, unfortunately, individuals who are married or in domestic partnerships may legally own the music of their spouse, but they are unable to merge the ownership of that music from different Apple i-Tunes accounts. Am I wrong?

how can I download music from borrowed iPod classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.