Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the app require cellular data turned on to listen to a downloaded podcast?

I get asked to turned cellular data on in order to listen to a podcast that I had downloaded.

The sequence is this:

1. download podcast while on wifi
  2. get in car and onto the road, off of wifi
  3. select podcast and hit play
  4. receive prompt asking if I want cellular data turned on
  5. hit 'cancel'
  6. look at podcast episode list to verify there is no 'download cloud' icon on episode
  7. repeat steps 3-6
  8. select different podcast
  9. repeat steps 3-6
  10. resist throwing phone out car window

Oddly enough, this week I was driving in and this happened. Traffic stopped, and I was prompted for an open wifi network. I joined the net, started the podcast and it worked. I wasn't prompted to use cellular data. Traffic moved again and for the rest of the drive I was able to listen to the podcast despite being far out of range of that wifi net.

So the app appears to have a logic error in determining whether it should ask for cellular data, and there's no way to convince it to play the episode(s) downloaded.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:05 AM

There are no replies.

Why does the app require cellular data turned on to listen to a downloaded podcast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.