Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" (3, 1) Battery Not Charging?

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (3, 1) 2.4GHz 4GB (late 2007) and the battery will not take a charge... I bought it at a university surplus auction for $40 without a hard drive and installed an SSD in it yesterday. After installing OS X Lion (while connected to power) I noticed the battery gave the status "(Not Charging)" and listed the condition as "Replace Soon". I am using a proper 85W power adapter, so that's out of the question. I've tried an SMC reset twice and had no luck. Can I be pretty positive that I simply need to buy a new battery?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:05 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2014 1:29 PM in response to StevenParker1717

Click and hold on the Apple symbol in the upper left corner. The first selection is "About This Mac". Highlight and release the clicker to select. Then click "More Info" which brings up "System Profiler". Under Contents: Hardware: Power: Battery Information is Cycle Count followed by a number. The number is the number of times the battery has been charged/recharged. The assumed limit of cycles is limited by the battery's chemistry, temperature, usage and etc. q.v. Mac notebooks: Determining battery cycle count, http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

The mid 2007 MBP cycle limit is 300 but if yours is over 200 and the charge capacity is ~1600 or less (30%) it's time for a new one. q.v. What is the normal MBP Battery capacity?

BTW, if you're not planning on keeping the MBP please let me know. My video card is blown and yours has the same one.

Jul 29, 2014 1:38 PM in response to Group6

It says only 89 cycles, but I'm still pretty positive the battery is simply dead. Considering the age, I've just decided to shop for a new battery. I bought the computer to replace my 2010 (whose logic board failed a week out of warranty), so I'm keeping it for myself. Although it's not an upgrade from that computer, the screen real estate is nice and the SSD makes it feel really fast. Can anyone recommend a non-Apple battery? (since Apple's are ridiculously overpriced and this computer doesn't have amazing battery life anyway)

MacBook Pro 15" (3, 1) Battery Not Charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.